Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to measure the barrel length of a non-restricted firearm

Quote Originally Posted by JayFlip View Post
    In terms of say..an 870 barrel, does it start at the chamber, or is the extra side part that locks it into the receiver counted? And for handgun barrels, feed ramp included as the entire piece of metal is the barrel?
    Jay, "the distance from the muzzle of the barrel to and including the chamber".

Extra side parts and feed ramps aren't part of the chamber, I'd think. I believe we're measuring the inside of the barrel, not the outside. Much easier than trying to account for all the little projecting metal pieces holding the barrel into place.

so if the muzzle brake is welded on does that make it part of the barrel then or just a permanently fixed muzzle brake
    if so if the barrel was ported or a brake welded on there is not much of a difference just asking

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    Even if the brake is welded on the laws state an attachment does not count in the lenght of the barrel.
    CCFR/NFA

CGN Regular
    I was looking at the faxon 308 barrels and saw they make one in 16”. So if I put that on my bcl102 it would reduce the barrel length too much to keep it non restricted? As the muzzle device doesn’t count correct?

Super Moderator
    Correct.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Papaclaude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m39a2 View Post
    As defined, any attachment does not count as part of the measurement of the barrel, doesn't matter how it's attached. Barrel length is, the length of the rifled portion of the barrel including the chamber but excluding any attachment.
    Any time you get info from these people, get a name, or get the information in writing, what she told you could make you a criminal and you have no way of proving that you were told what she told you!!!

Scott
    I would never trust a phone conversation on anything gray-zone. Even if you got it in writing, it's not a 100% guarantee, but at least you can use it as a defense and a reasonable judge would likely turf any charges.
    It's important to have a good vocabulary. If I had known the difference between the words 'antidote' and 'anecdote,' one of my good friends would still be alive.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Papaclaude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanlillico View Post
    so if the muzzle brake is welded on does that make it part of the barrel then or just a permanently fixed muzzle brake
    if so if the barrel was ported or a brake welded on there is not much of a difference just asking
    AFAIK, in order to count as barrel length it has to be a continuation of the rifling. How it applies to shotguns I have no clue.
    It's important to have a good vocabulary. If I had known the difference between the words 'antidote' and 'anecdote,' one of my good friends would still be alive.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    In the Canadian legal system, the barrel length is measured from a closed bolt face to muzzle crown, no add on's are included no matter how permanent/semi permanent they are. The only way to circumvent this regulation to an extent is have your muzzle device machined into the barrel blank, as it is still technically the barrel despite having the same affect and outward appearance as say a 16" barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider.

Herron Arms offers this option on the custom barrels he makes, you quite often see them on ACR's.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123