Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Storage Question

CGN Regular
    "In my opinion careless "storage" would be loose ammunition thrown randomly throughout my living quarters.
    Leaving it in the boxes, on a shelf wouldn't be careless "

I would think that if there was no firearm around the ammo it would be a non-issue.

So I have....

a small room in the basement under the stairs, it has shelves, these shelves hold my hunting gear, target shooting gear, papers, magazines, and ammunition, in original boxes, some in plastic boxes, including flats of shotgun shells, rifle, and pistol ammo included.

In this same room are my rifles, shot guns, each with a trigger lock, each in a case, and each case has at leat 2 padlocks on it, also on the floor is a safe, which holds the pistols.

Now access to this room is by one door, that has a lockable door handle, key is kept in a location I only know about, I am the only licensed person in the house.

Based on all that I have read, and all that I can understand and interpert

I am good to go ??????????

Right ???

one wall is made of cinder block, one is drywall, with studs spaced every 6 inches, you have to be really skinny to get through, basement has very small windows maybe a 2 year old can get through them....

This should suffice

or

Do I go and buy a big metal box, that is lockable, stick it in the room as well and dump all the ammo into it, lock it, and then I really would have nothing to worry about, but talk about a waste of money, buying even more box's

What you all say....?

Careful Precautions

Hi, again:

Yes, I do have a law degree.

One of the reasons I gave such a long answer earlier is that I wanted to show how difficult it would be to get a conviction in a "simple" storage case. Crown attorneys are not supposed to approve charges unless there is a reasonable prospect of conviction, with the onus on the Crown to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt.

So, in essence, if the evidence shows that the storage method might have been reasonable in the circumstances, and showed some care, then the Crown should not even bring the charge.

A deadbolted basement sounds fine to me. So does the locked cupboard under the stairs. Personal responsibility and common sense are sufficient. And if you don't have those, then maybe you should have a different hobby.
    nasho.

"... corrected by good men with rifles." J. Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ftaview View Post
    So I have....

a small room in the basement under the stairs, it has shelves, these shelves hold my hunting gear, target shooting gear, papers, magazines, and ammunition, in original boxes, some in plastic boxes, including flats of shotgun shells, rifle, and pistol ammo included.

In this same room are my rifles, shot guns, each with a trigger lock, each in a case, and each case has at leat 2 padlocks on it, also on the floor is a safe, which holds the pistols.

Now access to this room is by one door, that has a lockable door handle, key is kept in a location I only know about, I am the only licensed person in the house.

Based on all that I have read, and all that I can understand and interpert

I am good to go ??????????

Right ???

one wall is made of cinder block, one is drywall, with studs spaced every 6 inches, you have to be really skinny to get through, basement has very small windows maybe a 2 year old can get through them....

This should suffice

or

Do I go and buy a big metal box, that is lockable, stick it in the room as well and dump all the ammo into it, lock it, and then I really would have nothing to worry about, but talk about a waste of money, buying even more box's

What you all say....?
    You are GTG as is....you are over and beyond the storage requirements.

I personally would bar the window to protect my goods from theft.
    "Never go full retard"

/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks

The only way your going to get through the window is if your like really skinny, and 10 years of age or younger, very small window......and even then I have it so it only slides open half way....

I like to have my ammo in way that I can see it, gives me a visual way of knowing what is left and on hand, do I need more, or not, and it also lets me see very quickly if any has gone missing......not that it could but, just in case.....

I would really hate to have to have it, all put into another box, piled one on top of another, and have to dig through a pile of ammo to get to a box of shells that might be on the bottom.....

I think, we have some very convoluted laws, and are at times way over the top.....

All I know is I feel safe with my storage and I am sure no one would be able to say it isn't so....

Cheers
    Last edited by Ftaview; 11-29-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling

BANNED
    Just put it in a different room. When you go to the local shop do they store the ammo in locked cabinets. No. Except the big box stores. And the regulations for dealers is more stringent than owners.

I keep my guns(non-restricted) in my bedroom closet with trigger locks only. No safe. Restricted are in the small safe.

My ammo is in the basement stairwell. I keep the ammo in unlocked military surplus crates, with a latch. 2 unlocked doors seperate my guns from the ammo. This to me would be considered seperate. I have had a cop in my home to pick up a gun for destruction and he never said a thing.

Unless they give specific storage instructions like they do with restricted firearms, then It would be hard to show you have broken any rules.

CGN frequent flyer speedjunkiesracing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete04 View Post
    So "careless manner" is pretty subjective. What does it mean?

What specificly are "reasonable precautions"?
    Reasonable for everyone will be different too. I have five kids.
    So ammo is locked in a Canadian Tire lower tool box with all my papers, mags and specialized gun tools. Works for me.
    The Toecutter, He knows who I am

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    I keep ammo and firearms in the same room but locked in separate cabinets. Though I have a magazine loaded and sitting beside my pistol in the locked cabinet. I hope I'm alright after reading the confusing excerpt.

Wouldnt that be bad for the spring?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer smak_daddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hull_b View Post
    Wouldnt that be bad for the spring?
    Negative.

Repeated compression and expansion wear out springs. Keeping a mag loaded (or unloaded) for extended periods of time will not wear a spring out.

hmm good to know... guess i'll go load a mag. lol

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast