Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Storage Question

CGN Ultra frequent flyer saskgunowner101's Avatar
    We do have leo on CGN....maybe we could ask them their opinion? I just might.

In my mind, ammo in my house is safe storage.
    House has a lock on it, if someone really wants they could take their time and get into almost anything.

My ammo is mostly in my closet, any gun I own with a mag is loaded and sitting next to the gun in my safe.
    Shotgun has a few rounds loose and ready to go into my outlaw if needed as well in my safe.

We should be able to keep our ammo out of reach from children and in reach for ourselves.
    I want my guns and ammo ready for anything if needed.
    Sometimes the good old baseball bat is just not as useful.
    Gun list:

Ruger 10/22 All Weather
    Savage 111 30-06
    2x Norinco M213
    Simonov SKS
    S&W M&P 9
    Outlaw

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 667 View Post
    Great... Now define "careless" and "reasonable" and we'll all know exactly where we stand.

I figure my house is just one big container. It even has a lock or two on it.
    My ammo is kept on a shelf in the basement of that big brick container...
    I just had this exact debate in another thread on rifle storage vs. ammo storage. Be prepared for the backlash it's coming!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar

Safe Storage of Ammo?

WARNIN Keep out of the reach of children.
    I think that is printed on most ammo boxes. Simply out of reach and/or out of sight may not cut it. Even if there is only adults around. Locking the ammo in some sort of container, closet, cabinet, cupboard or room would be considered safe storage in anyone's opinion. Of course, a gun safe would also qualify.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

Some people complain of the subjective wording but you should actually be happy its that way. Its subjective but still specific enough in the basic requirements. You can't have an all encompassing requirement for safety of ammo the same way you can't literally define in every case what criminal neglect would be. Its dependent on the situation.

A single man living in an apartment probably wouldn't have to be too worried compared to someone living in a house with children and with windows in many rooms that would be easily broken into or something. That and the subjective nature leaves wiggle room in it. Its hard on those who aren't versed in law but as one person above with a degree pointed out, if you have a brain its on your side as much as anyone's if you're genuinely in the right.

Often people are taken advantage of simply because they don't understand the rights or protections the law affords them and they ignorantly give them away to those who make a living from knowing them inside out. With a sharp brain and good lawyer and some common sense about your possessions you shouldn't have any problems.

Words like "reasonable" and "without lawful excuse" are there to make it so the government doesn't just get to say arbitrarily that you're guilty. More definitive language would probably end up going against the interests of firearm owners if anything. Lose some of the wiggle room for bold and unequivocal statements.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Garand's Avatar
    I had an experience about 20 years ago, where I had just come back from shooting in the rain, my ex started on me that we were late for a function. I left a shotgun on the table in my basement with the intention of cleaning the next evening. During the next day, before I got home from work, neighbourhood kids ended up playing in my basement. When I got home, I discovered one of the little troublemakers had managed to access the top of a 6' shelving unit to get at a box of 12 gauge ammunition and tried to mate the ammo and the shotgun. I've always kept my ammo under lock and key of some sort since that day. While its not mandatory to keep it locked up, I know that someone not authorized can't easily access my ammo.
    Real soldiers are old-fashioned people who still believe in honour, and that is the most attractive thing about them. -Gwynne Dyer

Boss Spearman in Open Range : " I always liked a gun with a little heft to it".

BANNED
    or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.
    The way I (as a reasonable person) read this is...don't store it in the oven/furnace/toaster or where kids will get at it. As we do not have any kids...I have ammo all over the house. Charge me, I'll fight this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    ... I have had a cop in my home to pick up a gun for destruction ...
    Say what??

BANNED
    old cooey not worth anything.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ftaview View Post
    So I have....

a small room in the basement under the stairs, it has shelves, these shelves hold my hunting gear, target shooting gear, papers, magazines, and ammunition, in original boxes, some in plastic boxes, including flats of shotgun shells, rifle, and pistol ammo included.

In this same room are my rifles, shot guns, each with a trigger lock, each in a case, and each case has at leat 2 padlocks on it, also on the floor is a safe, which holds the pistols.

Now access to this room is by one door, that has a lockable door handle, key is kept in a location I only know about, I am the only licensed person in the house.

Based on all that I have read, and all that I can understand and interpert

I am good to go ??????????

Right ???

one wall is made of cinder block, one is drywall, with studs spaced every 6 inches, you have to be really skinny to get through, basement has very small windows maybe a 2 year old can get through them....

This should suffice

or

Do I go and buy a big metal box, that is lockable, stick it in the room as well and dump all the ammo into it, lock it, and then I really would have nothing to worry about, but talk about a waste of money, buying even more box's

What you all say....?
    You have done better than some already. A couple of small changes might help. A 'double key deadbolt' on the door woulld prevent someone from opening the door in the event they did mandge to gain entry and a metal supply cabinet (the kind offices use to lock up pens, stickys and such) would be great for the ammo. Large, steel and locking. Won't stop determined, but will stop casual theves.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast