Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Storage Question

Surplus CZ 7.62 x 39 mm ammo is soldered and sealed in a GI sheet can. That should be secure enough. It is harder to open this can than to pry open a cheap Yale padlock. I have enough trouble opening the darned thing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer MrSchultz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
    Surplus CZ 7.62 x 39 mm ammo is soldered and sealed in a GI sheet can. That should be secure enough. It is harder to open this can than to pry open a cheap Yale padlock. I have enough trouble opening the darned thing.
    lol a little too overkill for me. saving it for a rainy day?

Quote Originally Posted by florin79 View Post
    lol a little too overkill for me. saving it for a rainy day?
    This is my Dec. 21, 2012 ammo:D

Came in a wooden crate too.

Originally Posted by Ftaview View Post
    So I have....

a small room in the basement under the stairs, it has shelves, these shelves hold my hunting gear, target shooting gear, papers, magazines, and ammunition, in original boxes, some in plastic boxes, including flats of shotgun shells, rifle, and pistol ammo included.

In this same room are my rifles, shot guns, each with a trigger lock, each in a case, and each case has at leat 2 padlocks on it, also on the floor is a safe, which holds the pistols.

Now access to this room is by one door, that has a lockable door handle, key is kept in a location I only know about, I am the only licensed person in the house.

Based on all that I have read, and all that I can understand and interpert

I am good to go ??????????

Right ???

one wall is made of cinder block, one is drywall, with studs spaced every 6 inches, you have to be really skinny to get through, basement has very small windows maybe a 2 year old can get through them....

This should suffice

or

Do I go and buy a big metal box, that is lockable, stick it in the room as well and dump all the ammo into it, lock it, and then I really would have nothing to worry about, but talk about a waste of money, buying even more box's

What you all say....?
    Quote Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
    You have done better than some already. A couple of small changes might help. A 'double key deadbolt' on the door would prevent someone from opening the door in the event they did manage to gain entry and a metal supply cabinet (the kind offices use to lock up pens, sticky's and such) would be great for the ammo. Large, steel and locking. Won't stop determined, but will stop casual thieves.
    Thanks....

the last time the lock door knob malfunctioned, it took me over an hour to get it off and removed so I could open the door, even removing the pins in the hinges did not allow the door to open.

I cannot put in any more of anything into this room, it's not that big and it doubles as a place for storage of other items, some hockey gear, sleeping bags, odds and sods, all of which if anyone needs any of the stuff, they have to ask me as I only have the keys to the room.

I also thought of a metal cabinet or toolbox of some sort for the ammo, but then again, I don't see that much effort at any of the stores, so I think I am fairly safe, also considering the whole family has been taught on firearm safety, and usage.

Next house I will build a whole room dedicated to my hobby.....

i would love to have a dedicated room for this fine hobby. It's really nice to not have to lock everything up in cabinets all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by florin79 View Post
    i would love to have a dedicated room for this fine hobby. It's really nice to not have to lock everything up in cabinets all the time.
    You want one of these!

haha ohhh ya! if i had something like that, i might just shoot indoors!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but as a newbie I do have some questions. I have a shotgun and rifle. Both have trigger locks installed. Both are stored in a gun cabinet. Question here is can I store my ammo in the same locked gun cabinet as both of my trigger locked non restricted firearms?

I live in a small apartment so there isn't much room to place my ammo in one side of the house and my guns on another side...advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer padawan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibi View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but as a newbie I do have some questions. I have a shotgun and rifle. Both have trigger locks installed. Both are stored in a gun cabinet. Question here is can I store my ammo in the same locked gun cabinet as both of my trigger locked non restricted firearms?

I live in a small apartment so there isn't much room to place my ammo in one side of the house and my guns on another side...advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Yes you can. As long as the Firearms aren't loaded.
    Poly is pissed eh...behold my field of f*cks..and see that it is bare!!

Murph83

Quote Originally Posted by padawan View Post
    Yes you can. As long as the Firearms aren't loaded.
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast