Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AMMO Storage Question

AMMO Storage Question

I know that you can't storage ammo with your firearms unless they are in a locked container or room. However, is it legal to leave your ammo anywhere such as in the garage without any locking device?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    You can't just leave it anywhere, careless storage of ammunition is a Criminal code offense.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    You can't just leave it anywhere, careless storage of ammunition is a Criminal code offense.
    Can you be more specific? please

Quote Originally Posted by Pete04 View Post
    Can you be more specific? please
    Sure

Careless use of firearm, etc.
    (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    Sure

Careless use of firearm, etc.
    (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.
    So "careless manner" is pretty subjective. What does it mean?

What specificly are "reasonable precautions"?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete04 View Post
    So "careless manner" is pretty subjective. What does it mean?

What specificly are "reasonable precautions"?
    I'm not sure, but it is definitely very subjective. One could do some legal research to determine if there are any cases where this issue has been at bar.

If they prosecutors/legislators would define reasonable precautions, it would probably answer many questions. However, they purposely keep the FA and Criminal Code vague, likely to nail someone the second an LEO perceives that they're offside.

P.S. I keep my ammunition in large tool boxes with small locks. I believe this meets the definition of safe storage for the Firearms Act and Criminal Code. Its not ideal though since I am starting to amass more and more ammunition everyday.

- Richard Feynman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Holleyman's Avatar
    Lock up ammo? Really?
    Reasonable precautions... I love that, purposely worded vague to keep lawyers and judges employed.
    Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. We are to abide by subjective laws such as this that can be interrupted by every single person differently. I think storing ammo in a cupboard separate from firearms is fine; my lefty leaning, gun hating local LEO may think reasonable precautions means ammo stored double locked at a different postal code.
    Leave it to the government to screw everything up, they are the best at it.
    If the answer is more government, more laws and /or more regulation, the question must have been pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Holleyman View Post
    Lock up ammo? Really?

Thats just bulk ammo, I do keep some magazines in my safe

- Richard Feynman

I keep ammo and firearms in the same room but locked in separate cabinets. Though I have a magazine loaded and sitting beside my pistol in the locked cabinet. I hope I'm alright after reading the confusing excerpt.

CGN Regular
    "Reasonable precautions... I love that, purposely worded vague to keep lawyers and judges employed."
    Yep, it's a little vague alright, My definition of reasonable precaution is ammo is not stored in a firearm.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast