Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

Hiking or camping with a firearm, legal?

Quick noobie question here! Are you allowed to hike or camp with a firearm?

Not for hunting purposes, of course. I doubt you could do it in a park or something, but what if you're out in the sticks?

Thanks!

(Non-restricted)

Newbie hazards a guess: you can carry a firearm anywhere you're permitted to discharge it, which is anywhere you're not specifically prohibited from discharging it: within city limits, in a park, from, along or across a highway, etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The restrictions, if any, are to be found in your respective provincial wildlife legislation.
    Hunting Regulations Summary - 2009-2
    http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business..._E001275P.html
    Read it.

Depending upon the province, you might find it prudent to procure an appropriate hunting license - even if you're not hunting - because of the possibility that you will cross paths with a MNR/DNR Conservation Officer who considers such a document a necessary firearms accessory. These people do exist, and, believe me, you don't want to draw their attention.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

Depends on the provincial Park. Me thinks you live in Ontario, so anything within a few hours north of Toronto is likely 100% no. Example: Algonquin Park says bringing firearms into provincial park is prohibited, even bb guns. I figure that means no exceptions unless under special cases.

I called Mississagi PP (east of Sudbury) and the ranger said it's fine as long as it's trigger locked, in locked case and inside trunk at all times (lots of places to hunt and plink in that area). Went further north to Shoals PP and did the same thing but never asked about their regulations. I assume it's the same thing but really, don't assume anything.

BANNED
    "...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
    Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...to hike or camp with a firearm..." The Ontario MNR(likely instigated by McGuinty's gang) has decided that the only reason to have a firearm in the bush is for hunting. (Working trappers and propectors with the appropriate permit, excepted.)
    Get stopped by a CO with a firearm, in the bush, you are assumed to be hunting. Have no hunting licence for whatever game is in season, where you are hiking/camping or have a firearm chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season, and you will be charged. All your equipment, up to and including your vehicle, can be confiscated. However, there is no law that says this. MNR policy only.
    Now that's brutal!I had no idea Ontario was so strict!I grew up in Kelowna B.C. and we carried guns with us all the time,year round with no problems.My friends still do when riding quads,camping ect.I have now lived in the Yukon for ten years now and the only place we cant carry a rifle or shotgun is in a national park like Kluane.Other than that i always carry whether i'm on my quad or cutting firewood.That's a crappy and unfair deal for gun owners in Ontario.

you said it^^^^^
    if we all used the search function what would we have to talk about-me

CGN Ultra frequent flyer starpuss's Avatar
    man that sucks!

do you have the actual section for this? I ride the parry sound area, (the sequin trail) and its full of bears. Its second only to Sudbury for Bear encounters in ontario. I had one run at my family one day before it took off.

I'd like to carry my 12 gauge pump on the trail in my duffle bag but was wondering if it is legal?

This is not a provincial park and its about 3 hours north of toronto.

Now that the bear hunt was cancelled these things are everywhere.

I thought it was legal to carry in these areas if your in an area where these type of animals prevail?

So if I ride in Sudbury or Elliot lake this year I cant bring my gun?
    Life is not that complicated. You get up, you go to work, eat three meals, you take one good shlt and you go back to bed. What’s the fvcking mystery?! - George Carlin

I'ld rather be Hunting somewhere in Eastern Ontario.

Just stay legal

The simpilist way to avoid a problem in Ontario when packing a rifle for protection is to make sure you have a valid small game liscence, in most Ontario areas wolf and Coyote are open all year long and you only require the small game lisc. to hunt them. So if your ATVing hiking, etc.... and you come across the man with the green sleeves, he can't f#$%$ you up and as long as your not hunting in prohibited areas or breaking any firearm or hunting laws, and you are being prudent with your firearm. You are not breaking any laws doing this.

You can spend thousands of dollars incourt to proove your point, that you carry for protection, and travel back and fourth from where you live and enjoy the outoors, to fight the fine, cause it won't be your local court it will be the closet one to where you were hassled by Mr. MNR. The MNR has a reputation to fine first ask questions later. So really if your worried about protection when outdoors, just make sure you have a valid PAL or POL. Outdoors card, with small game tag. YOU ARE 100% LEGAL, as long as your WMU is open for wolf or Coyote 12 months a years. I know most people ATV with thier family in spring and throughout the summer and there really is no open season except for wolf and yote at that time.. Cheers.
    Last edited by rooster22; 12-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    EVEN A MAD MAN WITH A PENCHANT FOR DESTRUCTION HAS SOME FORM OF RESERVATION

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast