Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2010 - Lewis Maching and Tools - 308 rifle system

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by LTR308 View Post
    Mark, for every US dollar in Canada, you will exchange it for $.85-$.86 CAD.
    Sounds like a great deal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    No forward assist? Someone will B&C about that...

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    No forward assist? Someone will B&C about that...
    Correct... there's no forward assist.

NOTE: The red and white fire select marking colour fill is done for photographic purposes only and does not come with the rifle as shipped by LMT.

Mark

BANNED
    The ORIGINAL AR 10 rifles, Sudanese and Portuguese variants, as built by AI, did NOT have a forward assist. The updated Port model DID have an FN FAL type adjustable gas regulator ...
    which you didn't really need any way, but it was a thoughtful addition

After several thousand rounds through a few dozen examples of the ORIGINAL AR 10 rifles, with just about ZERO malfunctions, with a wide range of ammo including Remington .223 Accelerators, and my light reloads with 125 gr bullets at 7.62X39 velocities, I can state that IMHO, the ORIGINAL AR 10 design did not require a forward assist. That BIG HEAVY buffer and THICK recoil spring, and MASSIVE bolt, all did the job of whacking the 7.62 NATO cases into the chamber quite enthusiastically.
    No manual intervention required.

However, all of the MODERN / HYBRID AR 10 designs seem to use as many AR 15 parts as they can. These AR 15 parts were scaled down when the AR 10 was redesigned from a full sized 7.62 NATO BATTLE Rifle into the notorious 5.56 Poodle shooter. While using these smaller AR 15 parts in an AR 10 makes sense from a manufacturing/cost effective perspective, some of those smaller AR 15 parts may compromise reliability and functionality when incorporated into the full sized AR 10.One has to wonder exactly where the designers compromised on these NEW AR 10 Hybrids.

I've been interested in these new Hybrid AR 10s for years now, but am holding out waiting for a NEW AR 10 that was as robust and reliable as the old ORIGINAL AR 10s ... and didn't cost more than my 4X4 van.

This new LMT AR 10 might be the one I've been waiting for.

Until then,
    I'll pi$$ away my money with .300 Whisper, 6.8 SPC, etc in an AR 15 platform.
    That way at least I can engage standard bred poodles instead of the tea cup poodles with a clear conscience.

PS: Do you ever wonder what would have happened if Stoner had showed LeMay an AR 10 in .243 Win, instead of an AR 15 in 5.56??

All opinions expressed on the internet are suspect ...
    some opinions may be more suspicious than others,
    YPMMV
    [;{)

LAZ 1

I assume that this takes SR25 mags?
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    The LMT .308 MWS is now on our website and we are taking advance orders now...

https://shopquestar.com/shopping65/s...?id=1254&bc=no

Mark

BANNED
    I have to admit. That's an amazing rifle at a very reasonable price. How close is the basic rifle to the UK configuration?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nestle View Post
    I have to admit. That's an amazing rifle at a very reasonable price. How close is the basic rifle to the UK configuration?
    According to LMT, everything is the same except for the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    LMT displayed the 308 rifle which they had won the UK trial...

Civilian Version - identical, except for the barrel:

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    What changed on the barrel? An AR is barrel + parts case + HMI.

Questar - CGN Sponsor
    As I recall from our discussions the UK "contract" rifle was specifically requested with flip-up sights (I forget who's brand they used) and the civilian gun comes with LMT's Tactical Removable Sights (not flip-up).

The other difference was the barrel... Military version is Stainless Steel and the Civilian version is Chrome Lined barrel. We were told that Stainless barrels would be offered later as optional purchases, along with 18" length though from what I heard the 16" shoots VERY well. Don't expect the barrel options being available for some time (probably end of 2010 if I had to guess).

The good part is that the MRP system allows barrel changes in seconds.

Mark

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast