Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2010 - Granite Tactical Personal Shelter

Had a tent just like that "the design" not much fun for the weekend camping.
    I bought it because the size and thought it'd be great turns out it's just a little to small once you're in it + your pack.
    Friend of mine broke it when drunk and I got it replaced with a better two man tent with aluminum poles it's much better.
    Gun list:

Ruger 10/22 All Weather
    Savage 111 30-06
    2x Norinco M213
    Simonov SKS
    S&W M&P 9
    Outlaw

CGN Regular

Permethrin

Hmm, last I checked permetherin is good to go in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rmc24667 View Post

i have 2 of those. i think that's the "touch up" spray they gave me before we deployed. we also soaked all of our combats in a bag with some sort of permetherin solution and it was said to last 50 washes. didn't know how crappy the stuff is.

CGN Regular
    Just because the actual chemical may exist in Canada, it may not mean it's been approved and registered for use in this particular application. Seeing as it has the potential of adverse environmental impacts, and where these tents might be used, it could be that this application of the chemical has not been approved.

See the following for DND's response to question concerning permethrin treated uniforms and gear issued on deployment.

When DND asked Health Canada to consider approving the use of permethrin, Health Canada only assessed the safety and effectiveness of permethrin treatment of uniforms for deployments outside of Canada - this is why uniforms treated with the pouch system had to be turned in within 30 days of returning home. The manufacturer of the pouch treatment for clothing (with the support of DND) has applied for a broader approval of permethrin treatment of clothing. This application, when approved, would eliminate the need to turn in treated uniforms.
    http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante...ethrin-eng.asp

CGN Regular
    we were told to do our whole uniforms in permethrin before going to africa (the spray) I know theres another treatment for longer term deployments thats like a wash of some sort.

Smile these rock

i was with one of the guys that trialed these on my tour and we were all drooling over them big time. I would have loved to have gotten one for me

Ha, totally gucci kit, but I lost it while on MSG somewhere ;p Went out into leaguer for a week, left it behind in my mod tent, came back, and it was gone. Shame, nice piece of kit for back home

-Feliks

Too bad Feliks, BTW are you still RHC? I was with them in the early 90's when Fehr was a brand new Lt

Permethrin not OK on Canadian soil

To both azn and rmc...

Permethrin is not authorized for continual use "in Canada" by the Canadian Forces... your not even supposed to wash your combats (or any other material) after they have been treated with Permethrin while on Canadian soil.

I too have used the stuff (treated all of my combats) when going on tour ie Africa, Haiti and also the Sand Box a couple of times..... and each time I always received a briefing about it's use and the fact it was optional if I wanted to use it. (because of the possibility of negative health affects)

Point is... if you still have cans of the stuff: you should either turn it in, or put it away until you get the opportunity to go overseas again.

For those that wonder why anyone might want to use Permethrin..... it's better then getting Malaria from bug bites. We do take meds to help avoid malaria, but the meds are not 100%, and I would rather not get bitten or at least reduce the incidence of bug bites.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rmc24667 View Post

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BC_Guy's Avatar
    They used to sell that permethrin spray at 3 vets, I might even still have one somewhere.
    I'm here to kick ass and hand out bubble gum and I'm all out of bub... oh wait, here's some more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast