Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long can restricted transfers take?

GunNutz

How long can restricted transfers take?

Hello, just curious as i have never owned a restricted firearm, when buying a restricted firearm how long do the transfers usually take for completion? Does it matter if the purchase is from a retailer or not? new or used? pistol or rifle? Does it matter what province I live in, or the seller lives in? Or does the time it takes for completion seem a little random? Thank you for your time.

It can take as long as 6 months in Quebec. I see you're in Alberta though so it should be fairly quick.

Are you waiting on your first transfer? I was anxious for my first restricted transfer, so I called the CFO after two days, and they told me everything was good to go except since it was my first restricted they wanted proof of my range membership, and sent me a letter telling me as much. Since we were on the phone I just faxed it, and they sent out my LTATT the same day also.

Two days later I finally got the letter in the mail asking for proof of range membership.
    Thanks Norinco, this operator will enjoy "a better annihilating firepower".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CeeZer's Avatar
    Should be a few days, here in BC it was pretty consistent for me - 1-3 days buying or selling from/to dealer and private party.
    There is no greater tyranny than that which is perpetrated under the shield of the law.

I live in quebec and it has never taken more than 4 days for me unless you get an AR then they make you wait 3 monthes but every thing else is any were from 1 to 4 days ......Dan
    c.a.s.d. member
    cssa member
    nfa member

The best thing for the inside of a man is the out side of a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalDan View Post
    I live in quebec and it has never taken more than 4 days for me unless you get an AR then they make you wait 3 monthes but every thing else is any were from 1 to 4 days ......Dan
    You are lucky Tactical Dan, i live in the Montreal area as well and most transfers take at least 7 days.

On one occasion i waited 40 days to get an att for my gun range, i have been a member there for over 5 years.

CFC's been pretty good these days.
    About 2-4 days here in BC...whether it's private or from a store.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by CINDERWOLF View Post
    Hello, just curious as i have never owned a restricted firearm, when buying a restricted firearm how long do the transfers usually take for completion? Does it matter if the purchase is from a retailer or not? new or used? pistol or rifle? Does it matter what province I live in, or the seller lives in? Or does the time it takes for completion seem a little random? Thank you for your time.
    i've had it done in as little as 15 minutes, but i'm a "long time customer" - the "girls " at the alberta cfo are very quick- the secod last time it was about a week, buying at retail( wsl) - it takes longer as they have to enter all your data onto the system- once you're in, all they do is pull it up, and add the "gun" particulars to your list- long restricted, or pistol, it doesn't matter- new/used- still doesn't matter- buying from an individual does, as there has to a transfer on both ends- the stores do it more quickly b/c of volume- but that's alberta to alberta-

Greater Metropolitan Kemptville, People's Republic of Ontario, Occupied Canada and Cottonwood, ##
    last Ontario one I did took about 8 days. first time buyer if it makes a difference...
    Stripped of pretensions, a crime is anything that a group in power chooses to prohibit - Freda Adler (abbreviated)
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
    NFA, CSSA, NRA Life, ICORE, IDPA, AZ CCW, AZCDL. You can never get enough training...

just bought my first firearm last week. took 4 days. that was for restricted. in ontario
    if we all used the search function what would we have to talk about-me

BANNED
    last restricted i did took 2 days before that 1 day, but now it has been a week tofday and still not completed. I wish there was some consistency at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast