Rifle Bay Ammo Question

endo

Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a question that's had me scratching my head all weekend.

I took my SKS to TSE on Saturday hoping to fire off a few rounds but wasn't sure about ammo rules. The ammo I had was steel core 7.62x39. Not allowed to use steel core as it causes backstop damage, cool, fair enough. Their sandbox, their rules, I'm fine with that.

I saw on the website though that the rifle bay "[allows] shooters to use calibers up to .50 BMG at ranges of up to 50 yards"

--Here's my question--what the heck type of ammo could you use in .50 BMG that would do less damage than a 7.62x39? I know I'm a rookie but the physics just seem to point at a steel core 7.62 doing way less damage than any .50 round I've ever seen. Just looking for education here, not flaming anyone. I still love the pistol bays :D
Thanks in advance for the education :D

because steel core is just that. a steel core. not lead core. which is what they would expect you to use if you were using a .50. they probably want all bullets to be a lead core so that it will mush on impact not penetrate. even a .50 will mush on impact.

but hey what do i know go try it for yourself and let us know how it goes :D

some clubs also have a limit on the speed
and some on speed and type of jacket ie no full jacket
and some have handgun ammo only ie 44 rem mag in rifle ok
some clubs also have restrictions on shotguns
just ask

Like I said above, I have no problem with their rules, just curious is all. I should have my membership at an outdoor range soon and I'll be able to shoot the SKS there.

Im looking to do the same, just got the crate of ammo, SKS in the mail :). Which range?

Like I said above, I have no problem with their rules, just curious is all. I should have my membership at an outdoor range soon and I'll be able to shoot the SKS there.

MVMA...hoping to pick up a crate of ammo on Saturday. I found a local place that has cases of 1200 in stock for $200. I saw that SFRC has 'em for $189.95 for 1200 but the $10 difference is fine for me to shop local. Plus, I have no idea what shipping would be.

Got 1120 for 199 at Wholesale SPorts yesterday. MVMA?

MVMA...hoping to pick up a crate of ammo on Saturday. I found a local place that has cases of 1200 in stock for $200. I saw that SFRC has 'em for $189.95 for 1200 but the $10 difference is fine for me to shop local. Plus, I have no idea what shipping would be.

It is all about bullet composition, not power. A Sierra Matchking 300gr bullet traveling at 3000+ fps from a .338 Lapua AI will just put a tiny crater in a 3/4" steel plate. Now if you were to fire an AP bullet weighing half that weight (150gr) from a .308 Win at a lower velocity it would punch a small hole right through the same plate.

Back
Top Bottom