Italian Garand

Didn't know they were discontinued, so you have less options. Still the price of a newly made Italian repro would likely be on par with what the Springfield's were going for, over a grand right? or was it closer to 2K once they landed in Canada and taxes were paid?

So...
Am I to assume (hope I'm wrong) that your Italian M-14's will be priced about the same as a Springfield M1A ?..???
Just pondering:D

Wolverine Supplies does special orders on the M1 Garand don't they? I could be wrong, but I think they were newly manufactured by Springfield. Check out their website and correct me if I'm wrong!

The new springfield garands have cast receivers and the original garands have machined receivers. Doesn't really make much difference but, there are a lot of Breda Garand recevers that can be built into rifles.
You have to make a parts list and start saving parts and find a barrel to make a rifle.

I just don't get it. The market for Garands is so huge, why won't one of the US manufacturers keep making them in all kind of caliber configurations? I don't mean Chicom manufacturers as the US market is closed for them (and Canadian is way too small for them to matter at all), I mean one of the Italian or US manufacturers? Johnone is talking about Italian made M14s? Well, Chinese are already making them for us. Why won't the Italians make Garands for us?? We want Garands and I am prepared to pay top $$$ for a new manufacture M1 Garand in different caliber configurations. I am sure US market would also be open to Italian made Garands.
AIA stepped up to the plate and made a couple of different versions of rifles based on Enfield action in 308 caliber. I sure got one of these and I sure love it. Currently, this is my favorite gun which I bought from Marstar. I would love a new manufacture Garand in 308. This is a cult gun that would live in a very special place in my gun safe. Please someone, make them for us!!

I just don't get it. The market for Garands is so huge, why won't one of the US manufacturers keep making them in all kind of caliber configurations?

Because there are hundreds of thousands of them stored in warehouses around the world, The US Civilian Markmanship program have been distribution them for more than 50 years and they are still finding almost mint ones all the time.

I just don't get it. The market for Garands is so huge, why won't one of the US manufacturers keep making them in all kind of caliber configurations? ..... Why won't the Italians make Garands for us?? We want Garands and I am prepared to pay top $$$ for a new manufacture M1 Garand in different caliber configurations. I am sure US market would also be open to Italian made Garands. ....

The US M1 collectors will NEVER accept anything that is not genuine USGI. There are new stocks on the market (because the olds ones are 65yrs old) and the guys are #####ing, moaning and dripping about ------ ]insert complaint of the day here].

When Springfield had some new-build rifles with remarked Breda recievers that had gone around the world and back via Denmark, Canada and Australia to be remanufactured at Lithgow, the American purists were finding fault with everything they could concoct. There is no satisfying them!

Yep, not only do the the yanks eat their own s**t, they are willing to pay dearly for it:p Case in point, check out antique road show, fine furniture, china, even silverware, example something British, French etc, only worth 1/10 of their American counterparts.

Yep, not only do the the yanks eat their own s**t, they are willing to pay dearly for it:p

I suppose this is right....thinking of American cars. Toyota was butchered in front of US Congress for 40 reported cases of stuck gas pedal. Something not reported: at the same time, Ford had 400 such cases, not mentioned at all anywhere. But, hey, American cars are the best aren't they?

How often do Garands get produced? Seems like they pop up new from time to time brand new out of production

Nope. The US military ordered Garands from 1938 or 39 until 1945. Then during the Korean War they ordered more. The 4 US makers were Springfield, Winchester, International Harvester and Harrington & Richardson. There were no orders after about 1955.

Simultanious to the end of US production, two competing Italian arsenals got into the business, Breda and Beretta. These are the ones the snob collectors intentionally disparage - and for no legitimate reason either. The Italians made guns to sell on the open market, not be meet production contracts from Uncle Sugar. The Danish bought maybe 10,000 of them, and most ended up in Canada, but that is another story.

Some Danish Breda actions got buffed and restamped by Lithgow for Springfield Armory Inc to get into the US under some customs' remanufacturing loophole. When those ran out, Springfield tried to make new ones, and these too get more abuse and bad press than anything. Thus endth the lesson.

I picked up a Breda years ago and I love it. I would like to have a Springfield for the safe but at least I can use my M1 as a bear rifle.

If you cant kill one with 8 rds of .30 cal you can beat it to death with the gun.:)

Back
Top Bottom