Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cape Buffalo

Cape Buffalo

A great mature bull with a 44.5 inch spread

Note his heavy boss.

Anyone looking for a good deal on a Cape Buffalo we have a few available for 2010, please contact myself.

Mr. H......
    Very nice bull! Hooks even look "square". I am sure there has to be a really exciting last 10 foot shot that saved lives story some where in there

Thanks for allowing me to drool allover my 'puter----again.

Later....

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Mr. H......
    Very nice bull! Hooks even look "square". I am sure there has to be a really exciting last 10 foot shot that saved lives story some where in there

Thanks for allowing me to drool allover my 'puter----again.

Later....
    No, almost an anti-climax, stalked in to 30 yds, one 500 gr Woodleigh SN from my .470 NE as he ran away. Hit him between his 3rd and 4th rib quartered through him, hit his liver, punched a huge hole in each lung and came to rest under his off side shoulder. He did not even brake stride! He disappeared from sight after 40 yds, no chance of a second shot as he was in a bunch of five animals. We waited, our tracker climbed a tree and spotted three bulls and then a bull that was down. Three of his buddies had came back to stand beside him. My PH shouted at them three times before the three bulls finally ran away. We moved forward at the ready, I fully expected a charge or for him to dash away, I was unaware that the tracker had spotted him down. He was dead when we reached him.

The day before we had one of these fellows charge the Toyota, if we had not been slowly backing up at the time he would have “nailed” us, his burst of speed from no where was unbelievable. The PH floored the gas pedal and fortunately we got out of trouble, our game scout in the back was about to fire a warning shot from his old .303 SMLE. One would need a cool head and a good bullet to face a determined charge

Nice buffalo. Where were you hunting?
    Last edited by jethunter; 03-04-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
    Nice buffalo. That is something I want to do. Is there another thread already started with hunt details - where, when, who, etc.?
    Where: South Africa. When: Last week. No time to write up the details. I was extremely impressed with the quality and quantity of Buffalo, so much so that Hunt Africa Safari’s Inc is acting as an agent for them. Standard 7 day hunt, one Buffalo starts at $20,000.00. There are only a few left for this year, I wouldn't delay, if you are seriously interested send me an e-mail. Due to local politics there is some doubt as to how long this area will be open. I saw over 1500 Buffalo! at least 30 good trophy Bulls, 10 of which were superb, all different, I count mine as one of the ten.

Wow, what an impressive bull.

Are you getting the head mounted?
    كافر
    Вот до чего Сталин Канаду довёл! Мы все знаем что спасёт эту страну.
    Canada imports the majority of its problems.
    אני כותב רק מה שאני יודע, או שאני חושב שאני יודע ואם אין לי מה להוסיף - אני שותק, מקשיב ולומד!
    Beretta CX4 Storm Questions? Read the FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by notbsd View Post
    Wow, what an impressive bull.

Are you getting the head mounted?
    Yes, a full head and shoulder mount, he will go in display in our show room here at Wolverine Supplies and hopefully visit the few Gun Shows we attend.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mike Oxbig's Avatar
    Wow what a monster! Sounds like a helluva trip! Congrats.

John, judging by your other pictures in PB have you left any animals for the rest of us.LOL. Surely you have enough stories to write a book that we all could enjoy.
    Was going to add something witty but she walked by naked so I've gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    John, judging by your other pictures in PB have you left any animals for the rest of us.LOL. Surely you have enough stories to write a book that we all could enjoy.
    I keep a daily journal every time I go to Africa but it is way short of book, but you never know, maybe one day I will write it up. Let me add the following from my last trip:

PAC Hippo

PAC or Problem Animal Control is when a wild animal has to be shot because it is a danger to the locals or possibly likely to carry and spread diseases (For example Foot and Mouth). On the way to camp we met Jeff, a PH friend I have often hunted with in the past, he had a PAC Hippo lined up for me, but we had to hurry. I was shown my room, dumped my kit, found my cartridge belt, filled it and grabbed the .470 and we were away. Temp was +40 C with a high humidity, it was a “killer”. No stops to check zero, I was expected to be “good to go”. Anyway an hour later I was presented with a 50 yd shot from a sitting position at this Hippo, one rd in the brain and the job was done. Then we had to find the second one, I finished up with water up to my waist, my bare toes in the mud, taking snap shots at a Hippo’s head every time he appeared. The light was failing fast and in all honesty none of us managed to pull this shot off, but that is one of the best evening’s shooting I have ever had. The water temp was beautiful.

The picture was taken the next day after we had winched the Hippo out of the water, the locals all gathered and started to butcher him before we left, nothing would be wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast