Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Restricted on your own Property

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    A couple of months ago, laddie was in this area shooting his pistol in a cottage country situation. Someone heard shots, dropped a dime on him. Police attended, laddie was charged. No ATT.
    And on a 15 acre plot in Southern Ontario unless it is in one of the very few remote areas it won't be surprising if exactly the same happens if shooting restricted off a licenced range.

Folks are free to do as they choose. And that includes the freedom to deal with any consequences.
    Yours and my definition of freedom seems to differ quite a bit

Kind of a grey area there mabey.

My understaning was your not suppose to discharge a restricted firearm outside a range.

I don't understand why you could discharge a rifle outside an approved range and not a handgun, I don't make the rules.

Mind you if the neighbours don't mind who is going to find out

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Desette View Post
    I figured and I shouldn't add to a thread that is problem a repeater but its just the largest pain in the ass to hear about the ATT problems and now I even realize that its illegal to shoot my own gun on my own property, whats so dangerous about a handgun compared to a rifle being shot on my property?

This makes no sense at all.
    Welcome to Canadian firearms laws! Where logic plays no part whatsoever!

BANNED
    We all wish we could do that but because guns are evil and handguns are SUPER evil we cannot sadly

CGN frequent flyer
    it sucks all round, my youngest brother was shooting his 11mm mauser in the backyard of our farm one day, when an RCMP officer showed up because of a complaint from a neighbour a ways up the road (and on the other side) who shoots in his front yard desided he had the right too and my brother didnt, well the officer was confronted by my father who raised a fuss we had been shooting on our 100 acres with permission of the ajoining neighbours all farmers with 100rds of acres of land between us for years and they all did the same in thier back yards, well the officer started to kick up a fuss and got cut short when the old man asked him...see that garden over there? if there was a racoon digging that up right now and you owned it what would you do, the officer said he'd shoot it, and dad proceeded to ask him to leave lol the officer had nothing farther to say after that little slip up and droped the matter, I heard later that his CO ripped a strip off him for being so loose lipped.....long as the neighbours dont mind shootaway (a pistol though) im not sure what you can do with that our laws are a royle mess.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceviddie View Post
    A friend of mine has about 15 acres of land in a somewhat secluded area of Ontario (surrounded by cattle farms, bush, forest).

-In the municipality he lives in he can discharge weapons on his property (just as long as he is not annoying his neighbours); however, could he discharge restricted weapons on his property?
    -If yes, could I discharge restricted weapons on his property?

Thanks,
    I hope you have your ATT to take your restricted there haha!
    If you own a restricted you should know the laws its beaten into our heads.
    I smell something funny.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    As far as taking your restricted to buddy's property to shoot it, an ATT would be necessary. Read your ATT. Would this be covered?
    There is a legal definition of what a residence is, and the acreage where the residence is located is not it. An ATT is required to remove the restricted from the residence.
    It might be possible to shoot the firearm from within the residence.
    A couple of months ago, laddie was in this area shooting his pistol in a cottage country situation. Someone heard shots, dropped a dime on him. Police attended, laddie was charged. No ATT.
    Folks are free to do as they choose. And that includes the freedom to deal with any consequences.
    Possible? yes..........legal? not even close to being legal. (loaded gun in house )

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkilr View Post
    Possible? yes..........legal? not even close to being legal. (loaded gun in house )
    It is not legal to load a firearm anywhere it cannot be legally discharged.
    Which law refers to "loaded gun in house"?

BANNED
    "...in the criminal code..." Isn't a CCofC thing. It's a FA thing. Your ATT likely has some wording like 'To an approved range only.' Your back yard, no matter how big it may be, isn't an approved range.
    "...about 15 acres..." Isn't as big as it sounds.
    "...municipalities have bylaws..." Discharge of firearms and sometimes the max calibre of a rifle only. Nothing about what firearm can be shot.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast