Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Restricted on your own Property

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by peaceviddie View Post
    A friend of mine has about 15 acres of land in a somewhat secluded area of Ontario (surrounded by cattle farms, bush, forest).

-In the municipality he lives in he can discharge weapons on his property (just as long as he is not annoying his neighbours); however, could he discharge restricted weapons on his property?
    -If yes, could I discharge restricted weapons on his property?

Thanks,
    If you're NUTZ ONLY and a father -in -law with a ton of money and really a good lawyer and a nicer police officer and at the end stupid crown attoreny
    "It is only after we have lost our freedom that we appreciate its value." Words written on the wall of a Gestapo cell by WWII Belgian Resistance fighter Mary Barraco !!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    It is not legal to load a firearm anywhere it cannot be legally discharged.
    Which law refers to "loaded gun in house"?

Answered your own question there,no?

Your statement in the previous post said:

It might be possible to shoot the firearm from within the residence

You're saying it's legal to discharge a firearm in your house? Think again.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkilr View Post

Answered your own question there,no?

Your statement in the previous post said:

It might be possible to shoot the firearm from within the residence

You're saying it's legal to discharge a firearm in your house? Think again.

If there is no municipal by-laws preventing shooting...

What law makes discharging a firearm inside your house illegal? What law makes it illegal to load a gun inside your house?
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    If there is no municipal by-laws preventing shooting...

What law makes discharging a firearm inside your house illegal? What law makes it illegal to load a gun inside your house?
    Aside from a "self defense" scenario, all provinces have laws prohibiting the discharge of firearms where it is unsafe to do so. That's a pretty ambiguous law, as many are.
    If you think you can convince a judge that it is safe to fire a handgun in your house, have at 'er.

BTW, this thread should be in legalese, with the other gazillion "shooting restricteds on my property" threads.

Super Moderator
    Aside from a "self defense" scenario, all provinces have laws prohibiting the discharge of firearms where it is unsafe to do so. That's a pretty ambiguous law, as many are.
    If you think you can convince a judge that it is safe to fire a handgun in your house, have at 'er.

BTW, this thread should be in legalese, with the other gazillion "shooting restricteds on my property" threads.
    I see you are in Manitoba. Please quote the Manitoba law to which you are referring.

Incidentally, in the quotes you included in your posts, the phrase was "from within". "From within", not "inside".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I see you are in Manitoba. Please quote the Manitoba law to which you are referring.

Incidentally, in the quotes you included in your posts, the phrase was "from within". "From within", not "inside".
    Criminal Code of Canada:

Careless use of firearm, etc.

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons

You can bet that you'd get charged with firing a handgun from within,inside/wherever other than at an approved range.

The only legal place to discharge a restricted firearm without an ATC is at an approved range. Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but that is the law. If you'd like to challenge it, go right ahead. The gov't has deep pockets.

Super Moderator
    \

Criminal Code of Canada:

Careless use of firearm, etc.

86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons
    Sure. But that is not what the discussion is about, is it?
    The section of the CC that you quoted could be applied to any unsafe or careless action, anywhere.
    You are making assumptions about safety without any basis for doing so.
    Incidentally, you did refer to provincial laws.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sure. But that is not what the discussion is about, is it?
    The section of the CC that you quoted could be applied to any unsafe or careless action, anywhere.
    You are making assumptions about safety without any basis for doing so.
    Incidentally, you did refer to provincial laws.
    Do you really think a crown prosecutor is going to only look under the Firearms Act for an appropriate charge?

A Federal law would apply to all provinces, would it not?

The short answer is on the FAQ page from the CFC
    Q. What do I need to do if I want to set up a place on my property for target shooting?
    Check with your municipality to see if firearms can lawfully be discharged in your area. Also check with the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of your province or territory to find out if the place where you will be target shooting needs to be approved under the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations.Even if your range does not need approval, you may wish to consult with your CFO for advice on how to make your range safe to ensure that projectiles do not stray onto neighbouring property and that there are adequate warning systems in place to warn people they are entering an area where shooting activities are taking place.

So depending on where in Bantario this property is, then maybe. But chances are he would have to get it approved as a range and/or you would have to have an ATT for his address.

On the 8th day Go created Beer to prevent the Canadians from taking over the world

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I'll make it easy for everyone. The search function works and we're using up valuable server space which should be reserved for the EE.

SEE HERE: http://canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sho...icted+property

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast