Thread: New license

New license

Hello everyone,

Noob question: I just got my PAL/RPAL in the mail last week, I am planning to get a handgun.

Do I need to join a gun club before i can purchase one?
    (Burlington is the closest to me)

yes need to prove why you need one, so yours is target practice so need to join up first at a club.
    Aristotle - 'Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.'

Quote Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
    yes need to prove why you need one, so yours is target practice so need to join up first at a club.
    Thanks for the help. Does anyone know a good place to buy a handgun in the GTA?

CGN Regular
    My wife and I just got our RPALs late last year. Both of us purchaced handguns before joining a club. Neither of us were asked by anyone (store or CFO) about not having a membership. The transfers were completed in under 2 business days. I don't know if this is normal or not, but that's how our first purchases went.

I have had awesome service and no complaints on every puchase I've made from Jon at Target Sports.

As for Burlington(which is closest for me too), I didn't join them because of the times they set aside for the various disciplines. Look into this as depending on your own personal schedule this may or may not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    My wife and I just got our RPALs late last year. Both of us purchaced handguns before joining a club. Neither of us were asked by anyone (store or CFO) about not having a membership. The transfers were completed in under 2 business days. I don't know if this is normal or not, but that's how our first purchases went.

I have had awesome service and no complaints on every puchase I've made from Jon at Target Sports.

As for Burlington(which is closest for me too), I didn't join them because of the times they set aside for the various disciplines. Look into this as depending on your own personal schedule this may or may not be a problem.
    It depends where you live. The CFO in Nova Scotia won't complete the ownership transfer on a pistol I bought last week until I can prove club membership.

To compound the problem, of the four clubs in the province I've contacted, three have refused to answer their phone or their email, and one has said that to become a member, I'll have to attend their monthly meeting in 5 weeks.

EDIT: This tangent about to get its own thread.

I'm in Ontario and was able to purchase a handgun online before joining a club. I'm still waiting for my authorization to transport though, been 3 weeks so far! Very frustrating, can't wait to go shooting with it

BANNED
    "...waiting for my authorization to transport..." You belong to a club now? You won't get an LTATT in Ontario without being a club member. Only a Short term to get your handgun home. That doesn't let you go shooting.

I had no problems with it. Just pick a club, and either plan to join, or become a member. The mention of "used for target practice" and "to shoot at club X" should make it smooth.
    Then you need to take and pass the clubs safety course, if you already haven't by then. The club will apply for the LTATT for you.
    Support Our Troops

The Price for Freedom is not free.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    "...waiting for my authorization to transport..." You belong to a club now? You won't get an LTATT in Ontario without being a club member. Only a Short term to get your handgun home. That doesn't let you go shooting.
    x2 Brother had to prove he was a range member too.
    L ong
    T erm

A uthorization
    T o
    T ransport
    "...My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace." -Major General William H. Rupertus

Hey, since you're in Bantario and like everyone said that lives in Banterio... It's YES, you can buy a restricted before joining a club. I bought two before officially belonging to a club. If retailer asks you which club you belong to, just say you intend to join X club. If not (which I forgot to say with other retailer nor did they asked me), it didn't matter... The transfer only took days.

Only thing obvious is, you cannot shoot your restricted until you join a club and they apply LATT for you.

You finished the hard part, now part two is find non BS club.

Online - Questar.

In person - Epps is awesome (you can call to buy sight unseen too but a lookie is always better). Target Sports if you don't want to drive that far.

I bought restricteds from all of the above.