Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

In fact, takes way less time to get a Nexus card....go figure....

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer67 View Post
    So our time frames and issues are almost identical. Funny though, I was told to keep calling the fellow in London every other day...I have called twice this week. I may just leave it and wait. On one hand calling repeatedly may be good, or not... But it's funny that the CFO office was the one who told me to keep on top of this....
    I was told to call back in a month. I think that's part of the screening process: your behavior on the phone. As the lady I was speaking with in January was very quick to point out I called Nov 17 (I had said mid Nov). When I said "that's same thing I was told last time" she again was quick to say I realize. Makes me think the conversation is either recorded or entered as text into the system (at least notes are?).

Very frustrating process as I have never been convicted of a crime in my life. I'm with my current partner for 8 years. The only thing I truly think could be holding me up is a current family court case for custody with my son. That's been ongoing for over 3 years though

I suppose anything is possible. I think as long as one is honest and polite things should be fine, even if one has to wait. It may be hard for some people to realise that newbies can be quite excited about their new hobby to be, given that firearms are involved, and all the negative press out there. Before I realized I wanted to make this my new hobby, I had gone to a local range 3 times and shot 100s of rounds. After the courses, I did the additional range course right away, even though I knew my RPAL would be a while. After that 2 ½ day course and shooting another 600 or so rounds I realized that this was my new thing. I have had some interesting hobbies in my life, including skydiving X6 years-gave it up when my career changed and I got married, hockey as adult for 10 years & martial arts X7 years; had to give those up due to injuries, so now all I have is the gym...not that exciting....

Quote Originally Posted by NewfieWabbit View Post
    Still waiting for my PAL with application received Aug 17, 2017 so 149 days and counting.
    I called in Nov 17,2017 was told with CFO. Give it a month.
    Called back Jan 4, was told my application was flagged for review but was with CFO now so give it a month and call again.
    When I noted that was same thing I heard back in November and it's been 6 weeks since then the lady on the phone sorta chuckled while saying we don't know how many applications are in front of yours. Anyhow I asked could I speak with the CFO and was told no as they don't take calls. I'm in Newfoundland, can't believe there are that name applicants in a province with an entire populate of approximately 500,000 people!
    try this:
    Newfoundland
    Chief Firearms Office
    1-800-731-4000 ext. 5013

Speaking to your provincial CFO may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer67 View Post
    So our time frames and issues are almost identical. Funny though, I was told to keep calling the fellow in London every other day...I have called twice this week. I may just leave it and wait. On one hand calling repeatedly may be good, or not... But it's funny that the CFO office was the one who told me to keep on top of this....
    Is the guy from London name Rob? That's who I dealt with and he was great. He did inform me that new license apps were not his number one priority though, as people with expired licences and other investigations came first. I think my application was with him for five months or so of the nine I waited before he got to it and issued my rpal. I think in any province if your application goes for further review it basically means your in for a long wait

No, his name is Paul. And his voice mail states the same thing regarding priorities. I have accepted and at peace knowing I am in for a few months wait. Before I didn't know my app had gone for additional review, and that was annoying me after seeing so many people getting their RPALs so fast. Now that I know my app is assigned, and having left a couple of messages, I am just letting it go. Did he call you or vice versa? I.e., how did you finally connect with him?

I called him twice three months apart and then he contacted me once, asked what he wanted to know, and took my wife's cell number, he called her same day. The following day my status was updated online to license issued. Patience is definitely a virtue though, as annoying as it is. Make sure you update when you do receive it.

Will do, cheers!

My PAL/R timeline from Ontario
    Nov 18/19 did both courses
    Nov 22 mailed application(regular mail)
    Nov 27 application received
    Dec 19 received stamped test results
    Jan 11 application appears online, I call in to get fax number and fax stamped results
    Jan 12 call in to verify they received my fax, told they received them and are sending photo to be scanned
    Jan 15 card issued and mailed

33 days from the time they received til they issued it

Way to rub it in....

But really, congrats! Have fun !!!