Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

My first purchase was the M&P15 sport 2 in 5.56. I just bought it yesterday. It was on sale for like $550 bucks or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Arthus View Post
    Ya I heard the results are begin sent out super fast so my plan is to wait 20 days, if I receive the results early send everything together and if I dont receive anything then send in my application after 20 days so by the time rcmp receives my registered mail I should get my results and when I fax it in... 28 days approx will have elapsed.

Ruger is a good gun the only reason I'm thinking of the M&p sports II is because it's cheap $300ish for the .22 rimfire or $600ish for the 5.56 nato and since it's an AR platform u can easily and cheaply mod it down the line. Also looking into a revolver, a glock or S&W semi auto and the Mossberg® MVP LC Light-Chassis Bolt-Action Rifle...so $$ is definitely an issue for me since all those with the case and starter accessories will cause a pretty penny
    Yeah. I got my test results in under 2 weeks or so, was pretty good!
    My first rifle I ordered (pre-ordered I guess, I don't have my PAL yet LOL) was a Wilson Combat Recon Tactical in 5.56. First pistol a Sig P226 Legion. Sitting at the shops waiting for me to get my damn PAL number so they can come up with me... got them both at great prices so couldn't resist. Lol! Hopefully I don't get my application rejected..

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark23 View Post
    I have just sent in my application yesterday. Got both my reference signed and wife signed but the page that my wife signed is a scanned copy because she is running a business oversea and if I send a form to her and back that would be another 2 weeks. I have talked to BC CFO over the phone and she said that a scanned copy is OK. Even that, I still worry that this will delay my process because that page not an original document. Anybody have experience with sending a non original signed copy for PAL application?
    It should be fine. Call them the day it appears online. I apparently had 2 issues with mine, 3 including missing test results. They got all mine sorted out the day I called in, which was the day it arrived and right after the call it updated online to completed initial processing. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

My app just showed up online yesterday (August 31st) and arrived August 2nd if that helps you. Start checking online around the 28th day, they seem to be processing fast right now so should be on there by 35 days max.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
    My first purchase was the M&P15 sport 2 in 5.56. I just bought it yesterday. It was on sale for like $550 bucks or something.
    Have you shot it yet? And why did u choose 5.56 over 22lr version? I'm guessing it is more satisfying shooting a higher caliber 🤤 I'm personally leaning towards the 22lr because of how cheap the ammo is.

With all the big name shootings going on in GTA I hope tht doesnt throw a wrench in our app processes.

Also a scanned copy should be totally fine, I read the previous posts of them accepting faxes copies of the results so not sending in the originals seems to be acceptable unless they want to ding you and that's the only excuse they have to hold on to you app longer.

Can you really pre order/ buy a gun before getting your pal and pick em up after u get ur pal?!? If so I'm going to buy mine because it's on sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Arthus View Post

Can you really pre order/ buy a gun before getting your pal and pick em up after u get ur pal?!? If so I'm going to buy mine because it's on sale!

it depends on the store. One store I visited wouldn't let me look at anything without my RPAL. The other one let me buy a new Glock G17 Gen 5. Of course they can't start a transfer until I have my RPAL in hand, but they were more than glad to let me look at anything I wanted and put a deposit down.

Technically there's nothing illegal about handling a firearm in store without holding an PAL/RPAL. The salesman should have his and is in direct supervision. Same with the sale. I think the smart stores get the sales, lol.

Cheers,
    EZTRGT
    Kyle

I thought I would share my journey through the process of becoming licensed so here we go This is for Ontario.

10/28/2017 - Took restricted/non restricted courses.
    11/29/2017 - Received stamped FSESO course reports in the mail.
    11/30/2017 - Mailed FSESO documents and completed application to CFP/RCMP in Miramichi, NB
    12-05-2017 - Application received at CFP/RCMP
    01-19-2018 - Application shows up online as - Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.
    03-08-2018 - Called CFP at the listed 800 number to inquire to status of my application, told that scanning had taken place and application is now with CFO for final approval.
    06-04-2018 - Called CFP at the listed 800 number to inquire to status of my application, told again that it is with the CFO for final approval. Was provided with extension of the officer reviewing my application, left message for officer.
    08-28-2018 - Called CFP at the listed 800 number to inquire to status of my application, went straight through to the CFO officers extension this time and spoke to him directly, was asked quite a few questions about application and was told that the officer would be in touch.
    09-05-2018 - Called CFP at the listed 800 number to inquire to status of my application, again contacted CFO officer directly through his extension. Was told that he had been trying to contact my family. My parents are older, retired, rarely answer the phone and usually screen their calls as they don't have caller ID. So I called my parents and had them call the officer at his extension. I called back to verify if this was all he required from them and he advised that all was in order, that he has to finish some paperwork and I should receive my license in 2 weeks via mail.

I feel that my experience has not been the fastest turn around but everyone I contacted was very polite and willing to help each step of the way. I only wonder if I hadn't started calling in if my application would have taken longer. Also is it common for family members to be contacted? I don't recall on the application giving them my parents home telephone number but I suppose they have resources to find that out themselves.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DragonSpyre; 09-11-2018 at 12:50 PM.

I haven't shot it yet. It hasn't shipped
    Last edited by Mgellis; 09-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Wow. That seems like a crazy long processing time. I sure hope it doesn't take that long

Wow is it always this long? I remember I passed my test and then sent off all the stuff. Got the card around a month later. Just got my first restricted, took less than five business days to get my ATT approved.
    Last edited by DocZ; 09-08-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Wow dragon that must have been a pain to wait for. My BC app arrive in NB Aug 2, appeared online the 31st of Aug and was issued the 10th of Sept. I didn’t have to call and none of my references were contacted. This was for a first time applicant and I got a RPal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_shamus View Post
    Wow dragon that must have been a pain to wait for. My BC app arrive in NB Aug 2, appeared online the 31st of Aug and was issued the 10th of Sept. I didn’t have to call and none of my references were contacted. This was for a first time applicant and I got a RPal.
    Damn. I'm on the same timeline. Arrived on the 2nd, appeared online on the 31st. Had to send my test results though 14 days ago via fax. Still waiting for them to check their fax machine....