Shorten PAL Approval Times

Actually no , newbie has nothing to do with it , beside the fact that i have an almost scary photographic memory for information and details . I had him verify it 3 seperate times on 3 different days just to make sure it wasnt a mistake , and thats the answer he gave me. :runaway:

HUGE THANKS TO A MEMBER "CALALTA" FOR THE THREAD "SHORTEN PAL APPROVAL TIMES"!

I did exactly as you advised and my licence has been issued in 30 days.
HUGE THANKS!!!

:bigHug:

This thread should be a sticky! It works!

Course instructors should know better. The 28 day waiting period starts from the date your application is received by the CFC.

Is this true even when there is a problem with your application?

I sent in photocopies of my application and my test results, because that's what my instructor told me to do, but the CFC sent me a letter saying photocopies of the application are not allowed (they need the original signature). So obviously, that caused me a delay, but I sent the original 2-day rush to get the ball rolling again. I just hope it had no effect on the waiting period.

Is this true even when there is a problem with your application?

I sent in photocopies of my application and my test results, because that's what my instructor told me to do, but the CFC sent me a letter saying photocopies of the application are not allowed (they need the original signature). So obviously, that caused me a delay, but I sent the original 2-day rush to get the ball rolling again. I just hope it had no effect on the waiting period.

Check it online, if it is there, you are good. If it doesn't show up they must be waiting for an original to start the process.
I have updated the post to include this.

I challenge tested & passed non-res and res today - instructor said to wait until I receive a letter in the mail with an RCMP stamp of approval on it before attaching it to my PAL application and mailing it Miramichi.

Can I send my PAL application to get the 28 day waiting period started and have the safety course results sent when I receive them?

Would like to shorten it as much as possible so I can get out and start practicing :)

HA ! thats exactly what I was told . rock on .

If you go to the front of this post at the bottom of the first post it states you can send off your application to get the 28 days started then express ship your test results when you get it .

Just a heads up forgot to mention my application showed up the application check site after 6 days ! so excited !

Check it online, if it is there, you are good. If it doesn't show up they must be waiting for an original to start the process.
I have updated the post to include this.

It's there, so I guess it's all good.

FWIW, the person I talked to at the CFC said photocopies of the test results were OK, but not for the actual application form.

I challenge tested & passed non-res and res today - instructor said to wait until I receive a letter in the mail with an RCMP stamp of approval on it before attaching it to my PAL application and mailing it Miramichi.

Can I send my PAL application to get the 28 day waiting period started and have the safety course results sent when I receive them?

Would like to shorten it as much as possible so I can get out and start practicing :)

I'm not in Ontario, so all of my information is based on the experiences of others reported on this forum.
As far as I can tell the Ont. CFO office tells the course instructors that PAL applications should not be sent in unless the official "stamped" exams are attached.
Form CAFC 921 does not require that, you can check the box "Proof attached" or not.
If you send in the form without waiting for the stamped results it seems like you could save about 6 weeks in getting the 28 day clock started but then you will still be waiting for the Ont. CFO to 'verify' your exam results, so exact time saving is unknown.
One poster on here advised that the CFC receives the exam results directly from the Ont. CFO office so you merely need to advise CFC the results are "on file" but again I have no knowledge of that.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468818

Last edited:
ok, so on Friday i call'd CFC to inquire about my Status because yesterday(Sunday) my 28 Day waiting Period was up.

They told me its with the CFO of Ontario and don't no yet. mmmh.....

Last night i checked the Site online , no change in Status.

This morning : Application Received on: 2010/05/03

Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canada Firearms Centre Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)

Exactly 28 Days !!

:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:
:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

Yup ,now it starts officialy.

Keep calling them ,inquire about your Status even if they say to wait ,be nice but persistence . Have your Reference calling them .

In my Case Friday afternoon was always a good Time to call in , got true in no Time and they seemed to be less stressed and where always helpful .

So, my sincere Thanks for the great Post "calalta" on how to "Shorten Pal approval Times" and everybody else for Help and Input .

Lucky lol , i hope its that quick for me , my application showed up on their site before 1 week even passed , i was happy , but guess what , i just broke a mirror last night that was laying on my floor for some reason and got a piece of glass in my foot lol .

Sent mine off without the RCMP stamped approval attached, I wrote in the box (section G, box c) I will send the results as soon as I receive them for whoever gets my papers.

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling, I'm also going to get my references to call in instead of waiting for a call

I called this morning on mine after they recieved it last friday , she told me everything was in order (YES!) , said that everything went through smoothly and they had all the information they needed , however it has not been 2 weeks yet and she said they werent ready for me to do my interview yet .

Whats even stranger is after i selected the option to check the status of my application , they picked up on the second ring .. strangely odd...

meh what's the rush? i got my RPAL approved in about 25 days. got a whole lifetime of shooting ahead of me, what's a couple of weeks in the long run?

waiting for an ATT once you've got your first pistol, though, that might be another story XD

meh what's the rush? i got my RPAL approved in about 25 days. got a whole lifetime of shooting ahead of me, what's a couple of weeks in the long run?

waiting for an ATT once you've got your first pistol, though, that might be another story XD

A couple weeks is the problem of holding back excitement - I hate waiting for a legitimate purpose :D

That was your experience. A quick search of "months" in the PAL 'in progress' thread turned up others:

I sent it 2 months ago and it's still "Completed initial process"...

Mine took almost 6 months. Called both my ref's. I also had to call in and talk to them.

Mine took nearly 5 months to get. WHY? its the government and you have to babysit them.

FINALLY!!! Only took 3 months!!

finally got my pal after 4 months and being told once that I had the wrong papers, at least I was priority when I sent back the good ones.

It took me seven and a half months to get my PAL/PAL-R. No idea why. So for anyone reading, don't get too worried even if it's going way over the 45 day thing that they promise.

One reason your application might be held up....

Hi All,
First post here.

One reason your application may be getting held up is that when they call you or your reference and get the answering machine/voicemail:

The NAME OF THE PERSON must be in the message/voicemail.

No identified listener to their message, no message left by them!

Thanks,
Sir Veyor

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom