Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

Quote Originally Posted by calalta View Post

Once your application is approved by your provincial CFO the CFC will print the licence and mail it to you. Normally Friday is the day that all printing and mailing is done. If you check online and see the message:
    "Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canada Firearms Centre Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)" then congratulations.
    Depending on the day it is approved there may be a delay until it is printed and the mail system means it can take another week to arrive.

In the meantime you can contact your provincial CFO and ask for your PAL number. Even the Ontario CFO gives out this information.
    I am at this point. Just noticed it said license issued last night. Wondering though, why should I call and get my PAL number? Can I use that to purchase a gun without the actual license card? I'm assuming the answer is no. Just wondering why I might want to call and get the number.

Online purchases can be done without the card. The questionable legality comes with possessing the firearms without a valid PAL in hand. I myself have yet to buy any but have confirmed that the purchase can be made with just the number and expiry.

On a side note for those interested. 30 ish days after my application for my RPAL was received I gave my local CFO a call and the lady on the phone was able to approve my application on the spot after a brief 5 minute hold. However, she refused to give me my number over the phone stating that I could not go purchase any firearms without the license in hand. I promptly called the CFC back the next day and the lady there was happy to give me my number and expiry over the phone.

The tips here do work! I had a recent(ish) ex that had to sign off on my application and I forgot to send the details of that separation on a separate piece of paper at first and still was able to get my application approved in 30 ish days. Now just wait for the backlog of printing to catch up to me.

CGN Regular
    Interesting to look at this thread today, 2.8 million views and 11,000 replies later.
    In 2010 it had some good information that was pieced together over time and was not common knowledge.
    Figured that I was on the right track when I was told my application was proceeding too quickly.
    So I said thanks, waited and called back and got a different reply from someone else.
    I suspect that aspect has not changed, but I have not kept track of the current practice so I do not know what is still accurate but I wish everyone good luck with their applications.

It took a year to get my PAL. Decided to get my RPAL finally, hoping the wait times aren't the same again.
    Last edited by JJRRed; 01-23-2020 at 01:46 AM.

I sent in my application to upgrade to my rpal about 3 weeks ago and it still isn't showing up online as 'recieved'
    I phoned in and the lady on the other line told me my application was probably open in the mail room and I should wait another few weeks before phoning in again.
    My pal application was sent in and posted as 'recieved' within a few days, so I'm starting to get worried about my rpal application.
    Has anyone else experienced a few week delay in declaring an application as Recieved online?
    Has anyone ever had their application lost completely?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehea View Post
    I sent in my application to upgrade to my rpal about 3 weeks ago and it still isn't showing up online as 'recieved'
    I phoned in and the lady on the other line told me my application was probably open in the mail room and I should wait another few weeks before phoning in again.
    My pal application was sent in and posted as 'recieved' within a few days, so I'm starting to get worried about my rpal application.
    Has anyone else experienced a few week delay in declaring an application as Recieved online?
    Has anyone ever had their application lost completely?
    Thanks.
    For whatever reason, as of today (sept18) my status has been updated to being recieved August 30th. Not sure why it took almost 20 days to show up as being revieved? Thankful that things are in order again though.
    Last edited by Ehea; 09-19-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehea View Post
    For whatever reason, as of today (sept18) my status has been updated to being revieved August 30th. Not sure why it took almost 20 days to show up as being revieved? Thankful that things are in order again though.
    When they finally get to actually opening the mail and logging the information the put the day the mail arrived on the application because that is when your 28 day mandatory waiting period started. 20 days is about average from my experience.

I'm guessing this question has already been asked previously, but with 1100 pages to look through, it may take be days to find the answer, so I figured I would just ask:

In BC, can you send in your application and get the ball rolling before getting your test results from the CFSC, and send them in later? I see that it's a thing in Ontario, but I want to be sure it's also an option in BC before I go ahead an mail it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Aetoc View Post
    I'm guessing this question has already been asked previously, but with 1100 pages to look through, it may take be days to find the answer, so I figured I would just ask:

In BC, can you send in your application and get the ball rolling before getting your test results from the CFSC, and send them in later? I see that it's a thing in Ontario, but I want to be sure it's also an option in BC before I go ahead an mail it in.
    You get your results immediately after completing your course in BC. In Ontario the results have to be signed off by the cfo before sending in I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Trucksrfun View Post
    Online purchases can be done without the card. The questionable legality comes with possessing the firearms without a valid PAL in hand. I myself have yet to buy any but have confirmed that the purchase can be made with just the number and expiry.

On a side note for those interested. 30 ish days after my application for my RPAL was received I gave my local CFO a call and the lady on the phone was able to approve my application on the spot after a brief 5 minute hold. However, she refused to give me my number over the phone stating that I could not go purchase any firearms without the license in hand. I promptly called the CFC back the next day and the lady there was happy to give me my number and expiry over the phone.

The tips here do work! I had a recent(ish) ex that had to sign off on my application and I forgot to send the details of that separation on a separate piece of paper at first and still was able to get my application approved in 30 ish days. Now just wait for the backlog of printing to catch up to me.
    I bought my first rifle in a store when I was still waiting on my card. Called in for my number. The store owner doubted for a second but he typed in my license number in his computer and asked me the normal questions (birthdate, home address, phone number, birthplace) He could verify in his system that my PAL had been issued and that's all he needs to know to be able to sell