Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

Quote Originally Posted by 1981k20 View Post
    So I called after my wife received hers, my application is with the Alberta firearms officer. Any idea if this is the last step? Is this after the criminal record check or does the provincial firearms officer do that part? Would like to call the Alberta guy but can't find a number posted anywhere.
    Not much traffic on this site I see. FYI the Alberta CFO is extension 9026. The background check is completed in your province not by the federal RCMP office.

I just received my stamped results back from The fseso, what’s my best course of action for ensuring my rpal application is completed quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by FlippinStick View Post
    I just received my stamped results back from The fseso, what’s my best course of action for ensuring my rpal application is completed quickly?
    send it tomorrow with the most expensive option canada post provides, and nothing else tbh
    even if you send it tomorrow, you are still looking at next year march for issue, if not later since ontario

Quote Originally Posted by 1981k20 View Post
    Not much traffic on this site I see. FYI the Alberta CFO is extension 9026. The background check is completed in your province not by the federal RCMP office.
    im in AB and have been waiting quite awhile, at least in comparison to BC applicants. Do you think calling the extension directly would be seen as a negative by the AB CFO? for reference, cc charged 10-17, been waiting ever since

Quote Originally Posted by Ddawg View Post
    im in AB and have been waiting quite awhile, at least in comparison to BC applicants. Do you think calling the extension directly would be seen as a negative by the AB CFO? for reference, cc charged 10-17, been waiting ever since
    I wouldn't think so, but can't say from experience.

What does the status show on the CFP site for you?
    BTW: I'm in BC, rPal Application Received on: 2020-06-08, cc charged Sept 22, still shows as Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date. I suspect that your application is still with the RCMP if you have the same status.

Quote Originally Posted by user7362 View Post
    I wouldn't think so, but can't say from experience.

What does the status show on the CFP site for you?
    BTW: I'm in BC, rPal Application Received on: 2020-06-08, cc charged Sept 22, still shows as Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date. I suspect that your application is still with the RCMP if you have the same status.
    Application Received on: 2020-07-17

Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

Note:
    An accurately completed firearms licence application normally takes about 45 days to process. Incomplete and inaccurate information can add additional processing time.

The RCMP told me it is with the CFO, and there is nothing missing from the application. The only thing i can guess is that because im applying for rpal, and being in AB may be busier, it is taking longer.

since you at the start of the process i would not call too often. Do not call every day or every week. Keep it at every 45 to 60 days. Calling too much can get you flagged. If you unfortunate enough to go past 12 months i would then start to call every 30 days.
    For reference, my app too over 19 months to be approved. The last time i called (Oct 29 2020) the person bumped my file to a manager. A few hours later i get call from RCMP. Short interview and approved. No doubt if i did not make that call i would still be waiting.

Application Received on: 2020-07-17
    The RCMP told me it is with the CFO, and there is nothing missing from the application. The only thing i can guess is that because im applying for rpal, and being in AB may be busier, it is taking longer.
    Thanks for the update.
    I just got off the phone with fine folks at the CFP and they gave me a similar response(nothing missing, currently with the CFO). I haven't called the BC CFO just yet, will wait for another couple of weeks :/
    There was also a message stating they are 4 months behind due to Covid-19

The root of all evil, near Ottawa Ontario
    Hi all,

Taking my course on Friday (I'm in Ontario). From this thread I see it will be a long delay. Is it still a best practice to send my PAL application off 1st (without waiting for the stamped copies from the CFO) and then send them when I get them)?

Thanks in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by Shrav View Post
    Hi all,

Taking my course on Friday (I'm in Ontario). From this thread I see it will be a long delay. Is it still a best practice to send my PAL application off 1st (without waiting for the stamped copies from the CFO) and then send them when I get them)?

Thanks in advance,
    Hmm, might be different here in BC, but I took my course over a weekend, then sent in my application in on the following Monday (end of June) with a photocopy of the course completion certificate I got from the instructor. (Never received/heard about a stamped copy from CFO). My application is in process and not missing any info.
    edit: my instructor told us to just send copies of course certificates and keep originals in case they lose them.