Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden223 View Post
    What a beautiful thing to see this morning. Looks like they are back processing applications

Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)

Application received Feb 25th
    Charged March 20th
    Reference done April 21st
    Licence issued April 23rd
    Wow. That's great to hear. So they aren't answering calls but at least they are still processing. There's a chance
    -Merrick

"Gun control is when you want to buy 5 guns, but you save your money and buy 1"
    -someone probably

Finally got the status update I was waiting for, been a long go around for it with several calls into the CFO, National and then Provincial. Here's my final timeline:

Application received: October 7, 2019
    Reference done: by mid-November, 2019
    Licence issued: May 12, 2020

Honestly thought I would be waiting longer since COVID-19 came around and it had already taken so long. Last week of Feb BC CFO said call back in 6 weeks so once we all got told to stay home I figured I was more or less doomed. Glad it's sorted now.

I have a quick question that I think could probably be answered on here by somebody, so I don't have to sit on hold for ages to ask the CFC a simple question.

I originally got my PAL back in 2006. In 2010 I was convicted of Improper storage. ( its a long story involving alot of BS, and incompetent representation) in 2012 CFC sent

me a letter saying I'm eligible to get my PAL again but have to complete the course again.

Fast forward to 2020, I'm 35 all grown up and I consider myself a responsible adult now, so I just completed the PAL course again last week.

Question: on application Page: 1 section: A paragraph 1. it asks me to Select the situation that applies and if applicable, provide the licence number where indicated.

I have never had a firearms licence
    I have an expired firearms licence
    etc etc

my trainer told me to check the " I have never had a firearms licence" box

I personally think I should check the section marked "I have an expired licence" , because even though it was revoked, I still have had my firearms licence before, and I don't

want to make my application take longer because I made a mistake on my paperwork.

cheers. John

You said you did have a PAL at one time, so in my opinion the only truthful answer is, to say otherwise is a lie. And it won't be hard for them to see that when they check.

"I have an expired firearms licence"
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

2019-12-23
    Rcmp received my application & showed online
    called rcmp & cfo 30 times
    2020-06-22
    finally approved and mail the card to me
    6 months

Application submitted March 19, 2020
    Payment taken March 19, 2020

Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

103 days and counting. Still waiting. Fingers crossed. This is Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by o6z9o View Post
    2019-12-23
    Rcmp received my application & showed online
    called rcmp & cfo 30 times
    2020-06-22
    finally approved and mail the card to me
    6 months
    Have the rcmp called your reference ?

Quote Originally Posted by ivegottoys View Post

Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, responding to my own post. However, I wanted to share some wonderful news. I got the call yesterday from CFO. They asked me a few questions and then my application got approved. 5 days before the 4 month anniversary. I guess all I can say is be patient and they will get to you. I gave up on calling them twice a week. She even said I've been calling numerous times. According to the officer they are still working with limited resources. They are printing cards but at a slower pace then they are able to call applicants. Good luck to those still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by ivegottoys View Post

Sorry for posting twice.

Congrats and thanks for the update and info.

Still waiting on mine. Ontario. PAL/RPAL
    my application showed online completed initial processing and CC charged on June 15.. but was received March 6.
    Last I called the rcmp it was with the CFO. Have not tried calling the CFO yet.