Thread: Shorten PAL Approval Times

From another Thread

Quote Originally Posted by s13skyline View Post
    Looks like the trend of quick turn around times might be a thing for now. (knock on wood)

CFSC CRFSC completed Nov. 9/10
    Papers Came in about 5 days - Had application sent on the 15th
    Received Nov - 18

initial process completed on the 9th of December (monies withdrawn)
    Monday the 16th will mark 28 days

Ontario application
    No boxes checked
    RPAL application

A colleague of mine and I did the courses at the same time and she mailed her application the week after me.
    She has been issued her licence and has her physical card.
    We both checked no boxes. I guess some licences do get approved without going to the CFO?
    Both Ontario residents.

I am becoming rather frustrated with this process, I answered no to all the questions and have a clean record, I was told by the RCMP that 97 percent of applications are approved in 45 days, not sure if that's true anymore. I don't know, maybe I called them too many times and got red-flagged or something. (I can't help but get excited about going out with my other PAL buddies). While I am not too bothered by my current wait time, I have seen too many posts from people whos applications took 1-2 years and I worry that that is what will happen to me due to a number of domestic dispute 911 calls from when I lived with my parents and siblings (none were regarding me, I was a bystander in those situations). There was 1 call to the police about me because the girl I was seeing thought I was going to hurt myself, but it was all cleared up as a misunderstanding when the police arrived. Mind you I was only 15 at the time, now 23 so I don't know how much bearing that has on my application. Maybe I am being overly worried but it just sounds like the BC CFO is slow as hell. What follows is the current timeline of my application.

2019-11-16/17: 2-day CFSC/CRFSC course completed.
    2019-11-18: sent by express post.
    2019-11-22: application received.
    2019-12-15: Application status appeared online, there was a mistake with the credit card that was fixed that day.
    2019-12-16: Credit card charged.
    2019-12-16: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.
    2019-12-30: Contacted BC CFO through extension, was told that she looked at my application and sent it on to the CFO
    2020-01-07: Contacted BC CFO through extension, and was told that my application had been sent for further review and to contact them in 3 months.
    -Merrick

"Gun control is when you want to buy 5 guns, but you save your money and buy 1"
    -someone probably

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick2252 View Post
    I am becoming rather frustrated with this process, I answered no to all the questions and have a clean record, I was told by the RCMP that 97 percent of applications are approved in 45 days, not sure if that's true anymore. I don't know, maybe I called them too many times and got red-flagged or something. (I can't help but get excited about going out with my other PAL buddies). While I am not too bothered by my current wait time, I have seen too many posts from people whos applications took 1-2 years and I worry that that is what will happen to me due to a number of domestic dispute 911 calls from when I lived with my parents and siblings (none were regarding me, I was a bystander in those situations). There was 1 call to the police about me because the girl I was seeing thought I was going to hurt myself, but it was all cleared up as a misunderstanding when the police arrived. Mind you I was only 15 at the time, now 23 so I don't know how much bearing that has on my application. Maybe I am being overly worried but it just sounds like the BC CFO is slow as hell. What follows is the current timeline of my application.

2019-11-16/17: 2-day CFSC/CRFSC course completed.
    2019-11-18: sent by express post.
    2019-11-22: application received.
    2019-12-15: Application status appeared online, there was a mistake with the credit card that was fixed that day.
    2019-12-16: Credit card charged.
    2019-12-16: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.
    2019-12-30: Contacted BC CFO through extension, was told that she looked at my application and sent it on to the CFO
    2020-01-07: Contacted BC CFO through extension, and was told that my application had been sent for further review and to contact them in 3 months.

my girlfriend went through the same thing, we put our applications in the exact same time, i got my PAL in like 30ish days, hers got sent back because the picture wasnt signed, she sent it back in, didnt end up getting her license until about 6-7 months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty92 View Post
    my girlfriend went through the same thing, we put our applications in the exact same time, i got my PAL in like 30ish days, hers got sent back because the picture wasnt signed, she sent it back in, didnt end up getting her license until about 6-7 months later.
    Can I ask how she ended up getting it resolved? Or did she just get contacted by them eventually?
    -Merrick

"Gun control is when you want to buy 5 guns, but you save your money and buy 1"
    -someone probably

Quote Originally Posted by Merrick2252 View Post
    Can I ask how she ended up getting it resolved? Or did she just get contacted by them eventually?
    called once a week, just kept giving her the run around saying it was being processed.
    she only got her firearms licence so she can shoot with me. she's not really a fan of it, so she didnt dig deeper.

I haven't read through all 1000+ pages of this thread, so what I am saying will have likely already been said but it is worth mentioning.

When I applied for a RPAL is was quite some time ago so the climate was somewhat different than it is today but the same logic holds true.

The application process is not a free service; the applicant pays for the processing through an application fee.

That fee warrants an expectation that the application will be dealt with in a reasonable manner.

Put that into your conversation next time you inquire about the status of the application.

It worked for me, way back when.

I don't understand what's going on with my RPAL application and also getting a little frustrated with the wait time.

I am an Ontario resident and live just east of the GTA.

This is a new application for PAL and RPAL and I've been waiting 75 days since they received my application and charged my CC. No criminal record, answered yes to getting divorced last year, ex-wife signed the document. I called in a few times and they said everything with the application looks great and it's currently with the CFO. My friend who has his PAL took the same course as me for the RPAL and has been waiting just as long. I even had my reference call in to see if he could help and the person at the CFC says everything looks good with the application and the officers don't intend on calling any of my references. The CFC agent told my reference that not all applicants references are called and that is a common misconception.

Timeline:
    - Application Received on: 2019-11-08
    - Current Status: Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Creature1138; 01-22-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Reading a bunch of mixed results so I'll weigh in with my positive one!
    -Took PAL/RPAL course Dec 4 & 5.
    -Sent in completed paperwork on Dec 9, via regular old canada post.
    -Didn't check the website until January as I was expecting an email to tell me to log in, but when I checked it had said it was received on Dec 13 and was processing.
    -CC charged Jan 7.
    -Jan 15, Application was processed and licence was issued.
    -Jan 22 licence was received.
    Total days from first PAL course to receiving it: 49 days.

getting discouraged here waiting for my PAL/RPAL..

Application Received on:#2019-04-15

Current Status:#Your application has completed initial processing. It is now in progress. Please check the status again at a later date.

this is unacceptable, ive been very patient and polite with calling the main number every month but they just give me the same answer and tell me to call back in 4-6 weeks, ive done that for like a year now. think im going to contact a local conservative member of parliament and see if they can help my application.

if there was a problem with my application form would the CFO not contact me? the fact that others are getting approved within less than 2 months doesnt give me hope
    Last edited by addy00; 02-19-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Did my restricted and non restricted courses January 4 & 5 and filled out the paperwork right away and mailed it off. Just recieved my license today. Extremely quick! More less 40 days.