Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Fireball AR-15

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar

300 Fireball AR-15

A little side project we have been working on has finally begun to come together. A match grade 300 Fireball caliber AR15 carbine.

The barrel was made from a match grade stainless blank, the same as we use on any of our high end, long range rifles. It is 9" long with a heavy profile for accuracy and balance.

The pistol length gas system is coupled to a JP Ent adjustable lo-pro gas block which will allow the gun to cycle reliably with both supersonic and subsonic loads.

300 Fireball vs .223

Colt M4 upper, 10.5" 1:8 stainless match barrel with target crown, JP adjustable gas block on pistol length gas system and JP midlength modular forend.

We can also supply complete lower receivers as in the picture.

The 300 Fireball catridge (more commonly known as the 300 Whisper) is a true multi purpose case. It can push a 125gr bullet to 2200 fps making it the ballistic equal to the ubiquitous 7.62x39. Yet it can also run subsonic with bullet weights from 150gr to 240gr.

The difference from the Russian round is that the 300 Fireball will feed reliably through an AR platform without the need for modifications to the bolt or magazine. 7.62x39 AR's also tend to crack bolts regularily. So the 300 Fireball is a better choice for those looking for .30 caliber punch from an AR15.

Update July 2010: We just finished this sick 300 Fireball. It has a 9.5" heavy 1:8 match barrel under a Daniel Defence 10" Lite Rail. The gas system is pistol length and features a custom super lo-pro adjustable gas block to fit under the slim DD rail. The stock is a short Socom unit.

We have virgin Remington 221 Fireball brass and Redding 300 Fireball reloading dies currently available (Oct 2010).

These dies use a tapered sizing button to allow 221 Fireball brass to be easily necked up in a single step.

For more information on making 300 Fireball brass click here http://www.quarterbore.com/300whisper/brass.html
    Last edited by Alberta Tactical Shop; 10-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Too bad it's still restricted.

Hey Rick, is .300 Whisper (sorry, Fireball... ) commercially available? If so, how much?

BANNED
    I have been playing around with a 300 whisper bolt gun for quite awhile now and it is quite a challenge to get it shooting good, esp. with subsonic loads. With heavier loads you must be careful as pressures build quickly, my goals may be loftier then most as all loads tried were cast bullets of course. The rifle is a 700 action, trued, Gaillard barrel, Jewel BR trigger, Leupold 40X comp. scope.

*cough*

I just want to point out that I have very clearly called DIBS on this particular upper, after months of conversations with Peter and Rick at ATRS to bounce ideas back and forth about a reliable setup.

It's MINE, I tell ya... MINE! :D I have been thinking about this build at least 30 minutes out of every day for the last two and a half months. I can't wait to see what the word is on the initial testing...

When I got this picture in my email today, I just about crapped myself. Seriously. Then I wanted to get in my car and drive to Calgary just to touch it...

-M

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    is .300 Whisper (sorry, Fireball... ) commercially available? If so, how much?
    Yes and no. It is better if you can reload for it.

Corbon produces factory 300 Whisper loadings but I'm not sure if it is available in Canada.

Ruag Swiss-P ammo is available in a 220gr subsonic loading. This is available in Canada but is VERY expensive.

I have been playing around with a 300 whisper bolt gun for quite awhile now and it is quite a challenge to get it shooting good, esp. with subsonic loads.
    I've had the same experience with heavy subsonics in the 7.62x39 case. I think the use of small charges of very fast pistol powders causes accuracy problems. While they may be louder, medium burning powders likely produce better accuracy. I've heard of people getting excellent accuracy out of their Whispers.

I just want to point out that I have very clearly called DIBS on this particular upper, ...
    It's MINE, I tell ya... MINE! ... I wanted to get in my car and drive to Calgary just to touch it...
    Easy there big boy. Nobody's gonna take your upper. However I am gonna fondle it and touch it in inappropriate places long before you do so it will be thoroughly soiled before you ever get yer mitts on it. And I'm not even going to clean it before we send it to you.

I am doing loud development on it today to see what works with the setup we chose. Have to say it is pretty cool to see those big stumpy .30 cal subsonics slip neatly into an AR mag. And anyone who is interested in knockdown power from an AR ought to consider what a 1.1" long 150gr .308 bullet at 1700 fps might do to a soft target.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Clobbersauras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post

Easy there big boy. Nobody's gonna take your upper. However I am gonna fondle it and touch it in inappropriate places long before you do so it will be thoroughly soiled before you ever get yer mitts on it. And I'm not even going to clean it before we send it to you.
    That's almost signature line material right there...:D
    ------------------------------
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Tuco

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    Hey Doc, try you better sit down before looking at the following pics. I added a few accessories to make it look more finished.

The specially bored out .30 cal SPEX brake.

The top mag contains 180gr subsonics and the bottom mag 150gr supersonics.

300 Fireball ammo from left: 125gr JHP, 150gr FMJ, 170gr cast, 180gr RNSP.

I think I just died a little on the inside, Suputin.

It's like you're out on a date with the girl I wanted to take to the prom... and sending me pics of where, exactly, your hands are under her skirt.

It's not so much that the "gimmegimme" factor just went up THAT much more... it's that I didn't expect to LIKE that feeling so much.

I feel dirty.

-M
    P.S. Rick still smells like cabbage.

Oh, by the way, it hurts (so good) even more because you've basically set it up EXACTLY the way I want to - with the exception that I'm planning on putting low-mag optics on the flattop with a QD mount and BUIS like you've got there. It'll start off with the BUIS I think, so basically exactly what you've got up in pic form.

I friggin' love you guys... me rikey very much.

-M

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast