Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a legal minimum for barrel lengths on rifles and shotguns?

I am a noob on this matter. I am just wondering is shortening shotguns length by shortening the shock legal?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
    so could I jump on a Lathe and make myself a 10inch barrel for an 870?

I feel like I might get flammed for asking that. lol
    Only if you were a licensed firearm manufacturer and only if you were "manufacturing" the barrel either from scratch or from a blank. We're splitting hairs, but it would still be illegal for a licensed manufacturer to cut down the existing barrel of his or someone elses gun... As silly as that may sound. The short barrel must be newly manufactured.

Super Moderator
    A firearm manufacturer's licence is necessary to commercially manufacture firearms.
    A firearms manufacturer's licence is not necessary to make a firearm. (Homemade firearms are routinely registered).
    Is a firearm manufacturer's licence necessary to manufacture - or finish from a blank - a firearm barrel? A firearm barrel isn't a firearm. Why would it be necessary to have a firearm manufacturer's licence to make something that is not a firearm?
    If a person can make and register a firearm, obviously he can make a barrel for himself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer krausb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    A firearm manufacturer's licence is necessary to commercially manufacture firearms.
    A firearms manufacturer's licence is not necessary to make a firearm. (Homemade firearms are routinely registered).
    Is a firearm manufacturer's licence necessary to manufacture - or finish from a blank - a firearm barrel? A firearm barrel isn't a firearm. Why would it be necessary to have a firearm manufacturer's licence to make something that is not a firearm?
    If a person can make and register a firearm, obviously he can make a barrel for himself.
    Hmm.... you do make a good point. So then a individual conceivably could buy a barrel blank, or machine one form stock, manufacture it to a length of, say 10 inches, and that barrel would not be prohib as long as the individual could prove that he did not chop down an existing barrel?... interesting thought...

Super Moderator
    If the firearm is a longarm, a short or shortened barrel is not a prohibited device. A firearm with a sawed off barrel is a prohibited firearm, but the barrel itself, detached, has no status. Sub 105mm handgun barrels are a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    If the firearm is a longarm, a short or shortened barrel is not a prohibited device. A firearm with a sawed off barrel is a prohibited firearm, but the barrel itself, detached, has no status. Sub 105mm handgun barrels are a different issue.
    From your explaination I could not take a 28" model 870 Rem & shorten the barrel to 20" myself...is that correct?

Super Moderator
    You can shorten your existing 870 barrel to any length greater than 18", without having the shotgun wind up as a prohibited firearm, as a result of the barrel work.
    If you cut it to less than that length, your shotgun would become a prohibited firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by tdk213 View Post
    Just out of curiosity where are you doing your course? You in the lowermainland?
    Yeah, I am in the lower mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by krausb View Post
    Hmm.... you do make a good point. So then a individual conceivably could buy a barrel blank, or machine one form stock, manufacture it to a length of, say 10 inches, and that barrel would not be prohib as long as the individual could prove that he did not chop down an existing barrel?... interesting thought...
    The burden is not on you to prove it was a legally manufactured barrel. The burden is on the Crown to prove the firearm was sawed or chopped. Unless there are obvious chop/saw marks, this could very hard to prove.

An individual could conceivably be in possession of a sub 18" sawed barrel prohibited firearm, but because the barrel "COULD" have been manufactured that way (no one knows the entire history of every barrel. Or maybe you do, the point is, the governmen't doesnt), the odds of being convicted are low.
    CPC, CSSA

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. — John Stuart Mill

Super Moderator
    It might not be very hard to prove a barrel had been chopped.
    Most factory marrels do have markings relating to manufacturer, etc.
    Most factory barrels are known to have been made in specific lengths.
    There are also tool marks that would be characteristic of industrial production that would not be duplicated in a home shop.
    Anyone with a shortgun would be well advised to not have a barrel of questionable pedigree.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast