Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gun Range in Toronto or Surrounding Area

In regards to sileverdale, is their membership pro-rated? i dont really want to spend $240for four months.

But the price and benefits make the drive worth it.
    Read -> Comprehend -> Post

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    In regards to sileverdale, is their membership pro-rated? i dont really want to spend $240for four months.

But the price and benefits make the drive worth it.
    Yes they will prorate the membership, but I am pretty sure they just charge you for a year plus the few months left in this one! Dont think you can join just for the remaining few months.

I currently live in the westend of Toronto so I'm looking into the following places (still undecided):

Silverdale Gun Club
    No Indoor ranges
    Outdoor Ranges from 50yrds to 200yrds for pistol, rifle, shotgun, black powder & archery
    Annual Fee $240
    Seems to be very popular on this board, lots of ppl like it

Guelph Rod & Gun Club:
    Indoor 25m range (great for the winter, pistol calibres only)
    Outdoor 25m, 50m, 100m rifle ranges
    Outdoor Shotgun Trap, ISPC, & PPC ranges
    Annual Fee $250
    They have a buddy rule in effect (you cant show up alone and plink away)

Burlington Rifle & Revolver Club
    Indoor Range 50m
    No Outdoor Ranges
    Annual Fee $234
    Full membership is a lengthy process and majority of 'prime time' (weekday evenings, sat morning, sun morning & evenings) shooting is reserved for league shoots.
    It is the closest to the west area of GTA (except forest hill revolver club which i have not included in this list)

Hamilton Angling & Hunting Association
    No Indoor Ranges
    Outdoor 50m range for handgun, 100m for rifle
    Outdoor fields for Trap & Skeet
    Outdoor archery range
    Annual Fee $230 (for handgun & rifle ranges)
    All new members have to wait a year of probation to become full member. Ranges have various hours of operation, see website for more details, it might not align with your schedule.

Anyone else have their $0.02 to put in?

Quote Originally Posted by skeetgunner View Post
    Since the closest range to your house is Target Sports, and you're unhappy with BRRC's guest policy, you may be better off with a northern or eastern range. Sharon is out due to price, but have you considered Barrie, Aurora, or Oshawa?
    I cant speak for Barrie or Oshawa but the Aurora Gun Club is a waste of time! Stupid qualifications, poor facilities, the president is weird and nonsensical, the cheif safety guy is super unfriendly... just rubbish! I gave them my yearly $350 fee (Jan 4) before I actually found out their qualification rules (they keep them hush hush in their membership handbook) and haven't gone back since. They took my cash, no refund, just lost my money for nothing. Cluck'em!

Target Sports may be more expensive but it's worth it.
    Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one- Malcolm Forbes

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum PE View Post
    I currently live in the westend of Toronto so I'm looking into the following places (still undecided):

Silverdale Gun Club
    No Indoor ranges
    Outdoor Ranges from 50yrds to 200yrds for pistol, rifle, shotgun, black powder & archery
    Annual Fee $240
    Seems to be very popular on this board, lots of ppl like it

Guelph Rod & Gun Club:
    Indoor 25m range (great for the winter, pistol calibres only)
    Outdoor 25m, 50m, 100m rifle ranges
    Outdoor Shotgun Trap, ISPC, & PPC ranges
    Annual Fee $250
    They have a buddy rule in effect (you cant show up alone and plink away)

Indoor Range 50m
    No Outdoor Ranges
    Annual Fee $234
    Full membership is a lengthy process and majority of 'prime time' (weekday evenings, sat morning, sun morning & evenings) shooting is reserved for league shoots. It is also the closest to the west area of GTA (except forest hill revolver club which i have not included in this list)

Hamilton Angling & Hunting Association
    No Indoor Ranges
    Outdoor 50m range for handgun, 100m for rifle
    Outdoor fields for Trap & Skeet
    Outdoor archery range
    Annual Fee $230 (for handgun & rifle ranges)
    All new members have to wait a year of probation to become full member. Ranges have various hours of operation, see website for more details, it might not align with your schedule.

Anyone else have their $0.02 to put in?
    Yeah Ill bet $50 you end up at Silverdale!

Guelph is nice but the buddy system is about as dumb as it gets!
    Hamilton is minutes from Silverdale but is full of FUDDS, and a year probation! WTF
    Burlington is just ridiculous to join, and as you say you pretty much have to go early or after midnight or you will be out of luck as they are rnning something.

Seems you have answered your own question as I read back over your post!

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    Yes they will prorate the membership, but I am pretty sure they just charge you for a year plus the few months left in this one! Dont think you can join just for the remaining few months.
    Excellent, my membership at TS is up soon and I dont know about swallowing that $505 fee. Lately, its been soo busy with non-licensed shooters its difficult to get your own lane :S
    Read -> Comprehend -> Post

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skeetgunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentk View Post
    Would you have the names of the ranges? Websites would be amazing to. Thanks in advance
    http://barriegunclub.org/

http://www.auroragunclub.org/

http://www.gagnonsports.com/OSGC/events.htm
    Skeetgunner
    CCFR, CSSA, DCRA, NRA, OFAH, ORA, SFCdT

"On days, like this. In times, like these. I feel an animal, deep in side."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer skeetgunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum PE View Post
    Indoor Range 50m
    No Outdoor Ranges
    Annual Fee $234
    Full membership is a lengthy process and majority of 'prime time' (weekday evenings, sat morning, sun morning & evenings) shooting is reserved for league shoots.
    It is the closest to the west area of GTA (except forest hill revolver club which i have not included in this list)
    Its a heated range (as of '10) and annual fees are $171+HST. You've quoted the first year new member price. I believe the new member fee is going up $100, but I don't have my notes here.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    Burlington is just ridiculous to join, and as you say you pretty much have to go early or after midnight or you will be out of luck as they are rnning something.
    Unless of course, you're actually participating in the sections, during prime time. :D

With the exception of IPSC, the range is usually clear by 10:00pm each night. That's an early start for some men's hockey and indoor soccer leagues.
    Skeetgunner
    CCFR, CSSA, DCRA, NRA, OFAH, ORA, SFCdT

"On days, like this. In times, like these. I feel an animal, deep in side."

Does anyone have any information on the South Peel Rod & Gun Club in Mississauga? I found very little info in the forums or on the internet on them. That might be an answer in itself...

Arrow

Unless your specific requirements preclude it, the Silverdale Gun Club, as others have mentioned, is an excellent choice for a shooting range.

For new users, the range layout is both varied and inviting, accessibility year round is unparalleled and the rules with regards to usage and guests are not draconian. Importantly, the Range Officers are polite, experienced and always ready to offer assistance. Couple the fact that the range offers several firearm courses at reasonable rates with a very competitively priced gun shop on site for spot purchases of ammo (and/or firearms if you so desire) makes this range a very convenient one stop shop.

My personal nit-picks: the 2 km unpaved access road leading up to the range is, to be charitable, underdeveloped and can be quite disconcerting to ride on during certain times of the year in a car. Distance may be a factor if you’re planning to commute from the east end and intend to follow the posted speed limit and/or get stuck in the construction jams on the QEW.

Granted, there may be the other nitpicks depending on personal preferences, but Silverdale certainly does stand very competitively poised with regards to other ranges in the GTA when comparing the features offered for the relatively low (and fixed) membership fee. As a side note, the membership is pro-rated.

My recommendation? Do make the trip and survey the various facilities prior to making up your mind and, ultimately, go with the one that you enjoy being in the most!

Reference Links:
    Range: http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/
    Gun Shop: http://lanzshootingsupplies.com/

PS. First post! :D
    Last edited by redivivus; 09-03-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added postscript.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast