Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to transfer a restricted firearm into your name? Help!!!

You are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by lil_juiced_coupe View Post
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know you will not receive the firearm until you join a club, because in Canada the only reason you should have a handgun is to target shoot and the only legal place to target shoot is at a club.....after that if this is your first restricted you will have to wait for your authorization to transport which in my case took a little over a week for my first restricted, after that its usually less then a day wait for me.
    You can purchase a restricted firearm without having a gun club membership, it is looked at as being owned for the purpose of collecting. When you join a gun club they then look at it as being owned for target shooting. I know because I purchased a restricted firearm before joining a club.

You can buy and own a firearm right away without joining any gun club as long as you have the PAL issued to you. The only thing you can't do is transport it with you to any Target Range or Club because only gun club can request your ATT from CFO unless you are moving to a new address which you requires an ATT.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know you will not receive the firearm until you join a club, because in Canada the only reason you should have a handgun is to target shoot and the only legal place to target shoot is at a club.....after that if this is your first restricted you will have to wait for your authorization to transport which in my case took a little over a week for my first restricted, after that its usually less then a day wait for me.
    you can apply for the short term authorization to transport if u dont have a gun club membership, you just need to apply for it every time you need to transport you firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentk View Post
    Yesterday i bought a Glock 17 gen 4 at a gun shop a hour from my house (I live in ontario). I just got my pal and don't have a latt and im still looking for a gun club i like if it makes any difference. I was wondering how long it would take for the gun to be put in my name so i can go get it? I already payed them the full money (Saved up for a while), so im a little bit anxious that it wont go through or something. Thanks you in advance for all your time and help

Thanks,
    Vince
    I think you'll need RPAL to purchase a pistol.

Update for old thread

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I just bought 3 pistols from a dealer in Ontario...on Aug 23...and am still waiting ...I hear it is 2-3 weeks these days...
    Anyone have a timeline for restricted transfers under the online system from a retailer in the last quarter of 2017?

Figured I'm probably not the only one waiting and curious about this.
    Para 16.40 fully tricked out by Roger Katanko at Dark Industries

Quote Originally Posted by blairz View Post
    I live in Alberta, Purchased a Restricted at a local shop yesterday.. transfer was done today (Probably was done yesterday but they said call back tomorrow morning and it will be done) , STATT and LTATT done today... same day I purchased online from Ontario and haven't even received a reference # for the transfer yet... from what I hear dealing with the Ontario CFO takes time... no so with the Alberta CFO
    Were you already a member of a range before the purchase? I'm currently waiting on my transfer and they requested proof of membership, which I emailed to them, but I haven't heard back. It wasn't already on my file and this is my first restricted purchase so they told me it could take longer for them to verify everything (whatever that means).

I live in Ontario, I purchased a restricted firearm on Oct 29 and I am still waiting for the transfer. From what I understand it is 3-4 weeks for the transfer as of right now.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sakoman .308's Avatar
    This really needs a sticky, lots of folks in ontario waiting for transfers wondering wtf.

Your PAL is your license to purchase and acquire a firearm regardless if you are a member of a gun club or not. It is normal for a gun store to ask you if you belong to a gun club but it's not mandatory.

How long did it end up taking to receive the firearm? I purchased one in Ontario right before Christmas and am still waiting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast