Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie in Victoria BC

Rookie in Victoria BC

Hi all. I live in Victoria and my RPAL is in the mail! I was wondering about crown land in this area that i can go shoot at when the time comes. Just for target shooting with a .22 or possibly shooting some clays in the future.

I am not an experienced shooter and plan on joining a range as i would like to be able to benefit from the experience of those around me. I shot trap once before and would like to explore that sport more as well. The Victoria Fish and Game Protective Association range is the place i would most likely be joining as its closest to where i live. Even though i am planning on joining a range i would still like to get a bead on some crown land in the area as i would like to be able to take a friend or two out to shoot with out the fees associated for drop in for them. I know some guys would love to go but paying to do so would be a bit of a pain.

Its been about six months since i set the plans in motion to get my RPAL, after years of procrastinating, and in all my research as for what to get for my first rifle i can't get the SR22 out of my head. Granted it is twice the price of a 10/22 but if i got the cash i usually buy what i want rather than what is practical. And they just happen to have one at the local shop.

So anyhow, im probably goin to have a few more posts in the coming weeks in regards to proper maintenance and gun store etiquette assuming i cant find other posts in the forums here lol. Looking forward to hearing your responses guys. thanks

I'd say the closest places are Jordan River or Shawnigan. I go up East Main in Jordan River quite often but don't know Shawnigan too well. I think Shawnigan requires that a gate be open, but don't quote me on that.

The SR-22 is a fun gun. Got mine at P&D for $550 + SH, but I think I've read on here where people have found it cheaper (Joe Brooks maybe??).
    Always interested in USGI M1911/M1911A1 Colt, Ithaca, Rem. Rand, US&S, Rem. UMC, Springfield Armory, etc... pistols or parts.

I'd like to investigate shawnigan a bit more as i live by Goldstream Park. Easier access. As for the SR22 price, the store down on douglas had one for $579 i think. Not a bad price compared to many online retailers and no S&H to boot. Apparently this sunday the 12 there is a gunshow behind the costco too. lookin forward to my first one. maybe my RPAL will be in by then

Just looking at the backroad mapbook right now and I believe it was old port renfrew main we took. As I understand it, as soon as you pass under the the powerlines, you're fine to discharge firearms.

Also, if you take Humpback, you're only about 40-45 from East Main in JR. It would probably take just about as much time to get somewhere suitable to shoot in Shawnigan.

When I bought my SR-22, it was before the HST so I ended up saving by not paying PST. Though, if Island Outfitters had them in stock I would have bought there, just to have it NOW!

See ya at the show!
    Always interested in USGI M1911/M1911A1 Colt, Ithaca, Rem. Rand, US&S, Rem. UMC, Springfield Armory, etc... pistols or parts.

True enough i suppose. I have a backroads map i got at the sooke chamber of commerce last time i was out that way. Sounds like a nice little saturday of exploring. Didnt realize how close to humpback road i was. Just moved into this area of town

Where from?

Don't forget to check out Pullen's gunsmith in Langford. They have an amazing deal on some NOS Mini-14 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Fox View Post
    Don't forget to check out Pullen's gunsmith in Langford. They have an amazing deal on some NOS Mini-14 right now.

oh i know drool!

Its always good to join a range. the people at them are willing to help/ getting tips.

but i've been quading to sites in shanigan to shoot. it was just a narrow trails.
    i can't for the live of me remember where to get on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by smellycorpse View Post
    oh i know drool!
    They also got in a stock of ~12 armoury refurbished M1 Garands. I ended up grabbing a beautiful clean springfield for $1200, but they still have a bunch of bredas and a couple springfields left. I still smell of the cosmoline.

Quote Originally Posted by themarkjohn View Post
    Hi all. I live in Victoria and my RPAL is in the mail! I was wondering about crown land in this area that i can go shoot at when the time comes. Just for target shooting with a .22 or possibly shooting some clays in the future.

I am not an experienced shooter and plan on joining a range as i would like to be able to benefit from the experience of those around me. I shot trap once before and would like to explore that sport more as well. The Victoria Fish and Game Protective Association range is the place i would most likely be joining as its closest to where i live. Even though i am planning on joining a range i would still like to get a bead on some crown land in the area as i would like to be able to take a friend or two out to shoot with out the fees associated for drop in for them. I know some guys would love to go but paying to do so would be a bit of a pain.

Its been about six months since i set the plans in motion to get my RPAL, after years of procrastinating, and in all my research as for what to get for my first rifle i can't get the SR22 out of my head. Granted it is twice the price of a 10/22 but if i got the cash i usually buy what i want rather than what is practical. And they just happen to have one at the local shop.

So anyhow, im probably goin to have a few more posts in the coming weeks in regards to proper maintenance and gun store etiquette assuming i cant find other posts in the forums here lol. Looking forward to hearing your responses guys. thanks
    I haven;t lived there in a couple of years, but some buddies of mine go shooting up at Hill 60 near Duncan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast