Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trading guns in at Epps?

Gun shops are a business, and money makes the world go round and round. You have to make as much money you can from everything you sell. You have to sell alot of guns and related products to be able to pay your employees for all of the hours spent each day tending to the needs of tire kickers who end up buying very little, or nothing. Sure a shop makes money from a gun that is sold, but you still have to pay for you employees, and all of your daily expenses, even on the days that you don't sell any guns.

If you want to break even or not take a big loss, then sell it on EE, but if you are looking for the convenience of walking in with a old gun and walking out with a new gun then trade her in, if you don't mind taking a bit of a loss. When you figure in the amount of time spent by yourself to sell a gun on here, then you figure in your time spent packaging the gun up, and prepare it for shipping, then your time spend going to the post office, and your gas money, if you live out of town, then to trade in a gun for $100 less than you would sell it on EE, then its not such a bad loss, when you figure in your time spent selling the gun.
    Last edited by blueflash; 03-11-2011 at 01:37 AM.

CGN Regular
    remember if you want new or used you save the tax on the value of trade in at a store .and nobody wants to work for free . stores service what they sell . its your money so spend where you please . i have traded at epps and have no bad feelings . they have a lot of stuff there. often stop in for a look on way by . another thing to remember you cant please everyone . cheers . gun people need to stick together and not fight . safety in numbers .

Quote Originally Posted by SCHNEIDERSAUTO View Post
    i have traded at epps and have no bad feelings .
    Me too. I'm willing to accept less for dropping a gun off at Epps and waiting for my cheque to arrive as opposed to the assorted, ahem, challenges of dealing on the EE. I've consigned guns at Epps before and would do so again.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post
    Me too. I'm willing to accept less for dropping a gun off at Epps and waiting for my cheque to arrive as opposed to the assorted, ahem, challenges of dealing on the EE. I've consigned guns at Epps before and would do so again.
    I bought and sold many guns on the EE, the biggest challenge seems to be getting pics up and packing (a total of 30 minutes effort), but otherwise I can't see any problems.

Sleepless nights because I just threw hundreds of $$$ worth away cause I wanted the convenience of a trade-In: priceless

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    I'm happy that there are dealers who will take trades. I traded a nice shotgun today for some ammo that's getting hard to find. Yeah I could have got more selling it online, but then I have to deal with shipping, unsatisfied buyers, etc... I did business with Reliable out west here and couldn't be happier. His offer was completely reasonable considering his costs to run a store in Vancouver and have 4-5 employees on hand. Yes, 4-5. While I was waiting for my man to do a bit of research on my trade, I had no less than 3 people ask me if I needed help. I almost thought I was in a used car lot
    If he makes a big profit on it, good for him. If you don't like what a dealer offers you, go home.
    The EE is great, but the ability to be able to walk into a store, trade, transfer, and walk out in half an hour is pretty sweet too.
    I recommend watching the show "Pawn Stars" and listen to Rick's reasoning as to why he doesn't pay retail prices for most of the crap that comes through his door. Same principle applies to this thread.
    This is just my opinion, which everyone is entitled to.
    Last edited by Chumlee Bumsnag; 02-25-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Trying not to alarm the Spelling Police

I would like to go into a gunstore and look at racks of used guns rather than the new stuff which all looks the same to me. That being said used guns do take up valuable space, many have defects, and some will never sell. If I was starting up a gun store I would get all my friends to fill up the racks with their guns on consignment for say 10%.
    Epps seems to have a lot of used stuff at fair prices, wish I was about 2000 miles closer.

I think the biggest reason dealers will not give you what they can sell the gun for are easy. One they have a lot more expenses then any of us really know about. Second it works like this, a dealer sells a gun for $1000.00 so his cost is probably around $750 to $800 you walk in with a trade that is worth $800 there is no way that he is going to tie that much up in a trade that he may or may not sell right away. One if a dealer doesn't make money he is not going to be in business very long. Two if a person doesn't like that it is real easy don't deal there.

Don't be lazy do your research and sell it on here. It is real easy it just requires a little work. I am not in the gun business and I think it would be a very hard business to make a living at.

Graydog

I have found all the above to be true in my dealings with Epps and always come away happy.!!

CGN frequent flyer
    Many dealers have no interest in taking in trades, even if you only want a store credit.
    Epp's is the only place I can think of, that would allow me to wake up this morning, get an 'all powerin' hankerin' for a new 'shootin' iron', jump in my car, take whatever unit(s) I have discovered that I can live without, and go and make the deal.
    Their excellent hours, fantastic on hand stock, typically hassle free dealings, ability and willingness to order whatever I'm looking for, etc., etc., make them, in my books anyway.......PRICELESS!
    Cheap, quick, and good...you can only have two!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 3macs1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdman View Post
    No doubt about it, sell them here. Do some research of the rifle you want to sell, and put them up for less that the rest you find her. They will all sell. If you have to bump your ad more than once, you are asking too much.
    X2. I always traded in including epps until I joined this form. Much better off to sell on the EE and walk in epps with the cash.
    Pending the gun I would say I end up with at least 100.00 more a gun by selling here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast