Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - The Savage 99 - An interview with the president

When i bought my 99, i thought, "Why in the ##### did i just buy a Savage?" Then i used it for a hunting season and i'm now officially hooked. I traded in a very slightly used (less than 20 rounds) 1000 dollar rifle (got just shy of 600$ for it ) and i needed a new carbine so i gave the 99 a try. At the time I didn't like Savage. But other than the sights being a bit off, this was one of the best purchases i ever made. Now i'm looking for a nice 99 with a clip in 308 for a truck gun.

Ottawa Area (Quebec side - <5 km from Parliament Hill)
    I fail to see how Savage could not produce a 99 based on the original design and make a profit.

I have a small collection of them and to me, this is the most interesting lever action ever produced execpt for the Winchester 1895. I'm sure that they have done serious marketing research but nevertheless, like the Win 94 still in production, give me a 99 and I will be a happy camper.

Duke1

PS. I do have a small collection of Win 94 and happy with it.

I'ld rather be Hunting somewhere in Eastern Ontario.

99's Forever..........

I was in my local gunsmith's place Saturday. He had a new slightly used 250-3000 in a bolt action savage. He says savage is bringing back the old calibers but in bolt action rifles. This may be old news for some of you but I just found this out. Pricey for the 250 bolt over $700.00.
    I would personally like to see a 99 back into production. But as stated earlier probably not in this lifetime.
    EVEN A MAD MAN WITH A PENCHANT FOR DESTRUCTION HAS SOME FORM OF RESERVATION

CGN Regular
    everyone should own one, have great fun with my sav.99 takedown in 22hp, a historic piece

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ar180shooter's Avatar
    Too bad.

A friend of mine recently picked up an old Savage 99 in .308 (produced some time in the 50's I think) for next to nothing. It was in rough shape, but cleaned up very nicely and boy, does it ever shoot! They're great rifles IMO, too bad they're not putting them into production again.
    "If everybody you meet is an a$shole, then you're probably the problem, not them."

For whatever reason, I am partial to Savage. I have a 340, stevens 200, model 99, and used to have a model 110 that was stolen. All very good firearms for the money!
    You can fight the government...until proven broke

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Savage new models are all bolt guns this year.
    They are:

11/111 Light Weight Hunter
    5.5 lbs short action, 6 lbs long

16/116 Bear Hunter
    medium weight fluted barrel, polymer stock

Model 25 Walking Varminter:
    Trimmed down reduced diameter action made for smaller cartridges.
    weight under seven pounds
    Calibers include the traditional 223 Rem. And 204 Ruger. New calibers are 22 Hornet, 222 Rem., and 5.7 x 28

Model 12 Long Range Precision.
    High end full-profile, fluted heavy barrel, detachable box magazine
    blued finish and an HS Precision fiberglass stock
    Trigger adjustable down to 6 oz. It is chambered in 243 Win. 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Rem.

AXIS Stainless:
    available in rifle only, or with scope

14/114 American Classic Stainless:
    American Walnut stock, long and short action

They have a line of rifles with threaded muzzles for aftermarket brakes or suppressors.

Model 110 Predator Hunter Max 1
    in 6.5 x 284 Norma only.
    Bush hunter!

Svage 99 are great guns. Here's mine with my biggest deer yet. My grand pa was really proud of this rifle. He traded his 250-3000 for this one when he began moose hunting. He gave it to me when I was 16. No money can buy it.

Born to Hunt... Forced to Work!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jarlath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duke1 View Post
    I fail to see how Savage could not produce a 99 based on the original design and make a profit.
    Because there is no tooling existing for the design (some yahoo decided to scrap it after the 99 was discontinued). Many of the 99's were hand matched and fitted together.

New tooling costs would be in the $400K+ range making the 99 stupidly expensive to get a decent ROI (read a few thousand $ per 99).
    "Every loss of a soldier is a significant one. These great Canadians, died serving Canada and the people of Afghanistan."
    Modified statement of Col. Mike Cessford, deputy commander of Canadian Forces in Afghanistan.

Vice President for the Canadian Shooting Sports Association www.cssa-cila.org
    Active participant of the ODPL www.odplonline.org

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnt_servo's Avatar
    yhink about the first post for a second here .......

then think about what savage has come out in the last few years in terms of bolt action rifles . these rifles are possiblely the easiest rifles for the regular guy to play with WITHOUT having to spent alot of money .
    they are simple well thought out and reliable , and very inexpensive .

i would expect any new bolt action rifle from savage would be based on same concept as their bolt actions .

i grew up with a savage 99 in 300 savage and have a certain fondness for it , but the technology behind it is over 100 years old ..... i'm curious to see what savage might come up with if they start from a blank slate .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast