Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Ruger Gunsite Scout 308

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bradmclean's Avatar
    i want this gun too.any opinions or misgivings on the plastic magwell and trigger group.they call it a feature
    leave no can standing

Quote Originally Posted by bradmclean View Post
    i want this gun too.any opinions or misgivings on the plastic magwell and trigger group.they call it a feature
    I'm cool with it. The mag well is a non-issue. As for the trigger group, they've been doing it for a little while with the 10/22 and they work just fine. I think Ruger has the synthetic component thing sorted out nicely.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Looks like it has a different barrel contour as well.
    I don't know why they just couldn't remove the flash hider and screw on a thread protector......maybe they have a no threaded barrel export rule now....?

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Looks like it has a different barrel contour as well.
    I don't know why they just couldn't remove the flash hider and screw on a thread protector......maybe they have a no threaded barrel export rule now....?
    I'm not 100% on the barrel contour. It looks different at first glance but maybe it's just some effect with the image. Who knows.

I rather have the threaded CHF barrel without the flash hider than the SS barrel. But I guess that is an easy fix.
    sparhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I think a nice little CZ bolt action in 7.62/39 with irons and scout mount would be a better idea
    There's the CZ-527 Carbine.
    Honk if you love peace and quiet.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Any chance that this could be the new rifle for our Rangers?
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

"REDBEARD"
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbranch View Post
    There's the CZ-527 Carbine.

yep add a scout mount and off you go
    Sponsored Shooter PRS,3gun,IPSC Dog loving sumabiatch

So.... I handeled the Ruger Scout Rifle in a Montana gun shop this week. What a club it is, not one of Rugers better attemptemts.

On another note the Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmore in the rack beside it felt like a real rifle. Not a hard choice to make, a Creedmore will be taking up space in my stable.

CGN frequent flyer
    Bolivar, the original was designed with tactical in mind. That is why it is called "Scout". He had the idea that this particular rifle could hit hard and fast in aimed fire. He was not a big believer in .223, so that is out. I probably would have bought the Steyr if Epps didn't just stock them in .223 for some crazy reason. This gun was supposed to use a universal cartridge so ammo would not be a problem. 308 was pretty much his only choice, but for dangerous game he didn't mind stretching it to larger rounds that still fit the short action.

He originally wanted a rifle that would come in at 3kg with sights. That soon slipped to 3kg plus scope. The idea was it should point and shoot like a shotgun. And where safe to do so, they have had contests shooting clays out of the air with Scouts.

There are a few things I am worried about with this gun. One Gunsite isn't necessarily Cooper's Gunsite. And it sounds like a gun designed by as many as two committees. I personally think the flash hider and the short barrel are not scout features, and ballistics aside, I don't like super short barrels. The Steyr is like 19", 16 is way too short for me. So if they bring out a Canadian version with a longer barrel all the better, more Scout for sure.

It sounds as if it will be way too heavy, and that is a concept killer for anything called a Scout. I really like stainless and laminate stocks. They look good together. But the stock probably tips the scales in this case. I'm excited particularly if they come in without the flash hider and with a longer barrel, as Cooper had them made.