Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Ruger Gunsite Scout 308

CGN Ultra frequent flyer blasted_saber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    If it's not available in Canada for a little while, I'm just gonna get myself a Jungle Carbine and be done with it. I really want a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 but i know i'm not going to mount a scope on it so the Jungle Carbine will do the same job for half the price. That's just me though, you may think differently. To each their own....
    Any board sponsors sell Jungle Carbines?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    I think Sako Alberta is looking to bring these rifles into Canada sans flash hinder.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Any board sponsors sell Jungle Carbines?
    Badger Arms Supply

http://www.badgerarmssupply.com/index.php?page=surplus

I so over paid for my JC. Oh well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 7.62mm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    What is the problem with the falsh hider? Why "they" won't allow it outta the country?
    Because it has the shoulder thing, that goes UP!
    Meh…..just another rare bad apple…

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
    They could not tell me if any of the Canadian dist. had put any on order. They are coming out with 5rd. mags. and 5 & 10 rd. poly mags. One rep asked if we needed the 5rd. mags to be legal. I filled him in.
    ???? Bolt action mags are not restricted to 5 rds,, So what did you fill him in on?
    Is the mag specifically for this rifle, or is it a mag from a semi-auto platform?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Cool. I was wondering if you guys got pictures of it. To me it was one of the highlights of the show. It would make a neat little truck gun.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

That kind of rifle gets my attention. What is the main purpose of a scout rifle? Target shooting? Varmint?

A scout rifle is light, reasonably accurate and fast-into-action in a caliber capable of taking any 4 or 2 legged varmint in North America.
    Member of the CPC, CSSA, CCFR, OFAH and NRA
    "The disarming of citizens has been a tragic and bloody failure. Violent crime has increased everywhere it's been tried as it serves only to embolden the still-armed criminal. NOT IN MY CANADA!"

Can't edit my previous post. Weird.

More from wikipedia:

Drawing inspiration from several sources, specifically the Austrian Mannlicher-Schönauer of 1903 and the Winchester Model 1894, Cooper defined several distinguishing characteristics of a scout rifle:

• An unloaded weight, with accessories, of 3 kg (6.6 lbs); with 3.5 kilograms (7.7 lbs) the maximum acceptable.
    • An overall length of 1 meter (39.4 in.) or less.
    • A forward-mounted telescopic sight of low magnification, typically 2-3 diameters. This preserves the shooter's peripheral vision, keeps the ejection port open to allow the use of stripper clips to reload the rifle, and eliminates any chance of the scope striking one's brow during recoil. Cooper has stated that a telescopic sight is not mandatory.
    • Ghost ring auxiliary iron sights: a rear sight consisting of a receiver-mounted large-aperture thin ring, and typically a square post front sight.
    • A "Ching" or "CW" sling. Against common practice, Cooper advocated the use of a sling as a shooting aid. The Ching sling offers the convenience of a carrying strap and the steadiness of a target shooter's sling with the speed of a biathlete's sling. (The CW sling is a simpler version of a Ching sling, consisting of a single strap.)
    • A standard chambering of .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO or 7mm-08 Remington for locales that forbid civilian ownership of cartridges in chamberings adopted by military forces or for its "slightly better ballistics."[2] As Cooper wrote, "A true Scout comes in .308 or 7mm-08."[3] The .243 Winchester is an alternative for young, small-framed, or recoil-shy people, but needs a 22" barrel. Cooper also commissioned "Lion Scout," chambered for the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge.
    • Accuracy: Should be capable of shooting into 2 minutes of angle or less (4") at 200 yards/meters (3 shot groups).

These features dictated short, thin barrels, synthetic stocks, and bolt actions. Other optional features included a retractable bipod, detachable magazines, a butt magazine, and an accessory rail for lights and other attachments. The addition of some of these features often render the rifle technically not a scout as originally defined, but this has come to be accepted by many as still conforming to the spirit if not the letter of the concept.
    Member of the CPC, CSSA, CCFR, OFAH and NRA
    "The disarming of citizens has been a tragic and bloody failure. Violent crime has increased everywhere it's been tried as it serves only to embolden the still-armed criminal. NOT IN MY CANADA!"