Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Ruger Gunsite Scout 308

Quote Originally Posted by na1lb0hm View Post
    now if only those mags could fall into norc305/m14s.......
    very interesting, i'd like a synthetic stock though... maybe a hogue overmolded.
    and a accuracy report on one of these things.

Its true that its a bit heavier and more expensive, but to me the look of the laminate with the extended mag really makes this gun stand out

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bolivar's Avatar
    Outside Barrie ON, Native to South Shore of NS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyon View Post
    Its true that its a bit heavier and more expensive, but to me the look of the laminate with the extended mag really makes this gun stand out
    Yeah, again personal taste. I agree that the laminate stock is better looking. The Savage stock ain't much to get excited about.

The extended mag, well it looks cook I guess but it sure would get in the way for carry if you were using it for hunting (which is why I bought my Scout)

As for "tactical" situations, I'm not clear as to where the scout rifle would work well. It is not going to be as accurate as a conventional sniper rifle and won't have the rapid fire power of a semi-auto.

Seems like it is best suited to competition maybe. I've read an article on the practical hunting rifle course (I may have that name wrong) at Gunsite. This is likely the inspiration for the rifle from Ruger anyway, IMO.

To me at least it seems to be a rifle in search of a purpose. That being said, I have never let lack or purpose stop me from buying a firearm.
    GREASY CIVI Black Rifle Shooter
    Member: BDHACC, OSPE, PEO, CSSA, CCFR, Project Mapleseed, CRPS, OSA

I think the scout concept is genius. It does require one to break with convention and think outside the box a little bit. It very much was an idea ahead of it's time. The more of Jeff Cooper's works I read the more is makes sense.

Now the real question.....where can I get one and how soon?

This inspiration for this was Jeff Cooper scout rifle concept (also inspiration for the savage, ruger frontier, steyr scout)

This is pretty close to what Mr Cooper wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

Seems like it is best suited to competition maybe. I've read an article on the practical hunting rifle course (I may have that name wrong) at Gunsite. This is likely the inspiration for the rifle from Ruger anyway, IMO.

Jeff was a big time hunter, advocate of major calibers for defensive arms.

He wanted a rifle that could take any game in North America (not just poodles) and could instantly transfer to use as homestead defense in case of communist or ninja invasion. He also wanted it to be compact. (no garands i guess)

I haven't done enough reading on this to know why a AR-10 didn't do this for him. Bolt actions are easier to clean and maintain?

Quote Originally Posted by evolture View Post
    I haven't done enough reading on this to know why a AR-10 didn't do this for him. Bolt actions are easier to clean and maintain?
    From here:

Semiautomatic scout
    A scout rifle built on an auto-loader receiver. A fine concept, but so far it seems no such receiver will fit caliber, weight and length requirements.
    "Amazingly, quite a few weapons were handed in. The flaw though...was this: criminals don't obey the law. It's more or less a requirement for the job. They had no particular interest in making the streets safer for anyone except themselves."

- Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fireball's Avatar
    neat looking piece of kit
    NFA CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bolivar's Avatar
    Outside Barrie ON, Native to South Shore of NS
    Quote Originally Posted by evolture View Post
    This inspiration for this was Jeff Cooper scout rifle concept (also inspiration for the savage, ruger frontier, steyr scout)

This is pretty close to what Mr Cooper wanted.
    My point was why now and why call "Gunsite". Yes, Cooper's definition of the Scout is the basis, I agree. But with the high capacity mag this particular version does not seem to be geared toward hunting and given the short barrel and focus on LER sights I can't see it fitting a modern tactical requirement (police, military)

I suppose it would be great for a rancher who want's a light handy rifle for predators and such (2 and 4 legged).

Don't get me wrong, I like the Scout idea. I'm just not loving this one for my needs/wants. Just my personal opinion.
    GREASY CIVI Black Rifle Shooter
    Member: BDHACC, OSPE, PEO, CSSA, CCFR, Project Mapleseed, CRPS, OSA

CGN Regular
    id buy if someone brought them in