Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Shilo Sharps

BANNED
    Alot like the 45/90 for this purpose, this isn't the express version that Winchester championed over 100 years ago, but Sharps version meant for long bullets and long range. I also like the .45/100 but mine is very heavy and recoil is soft, but with an 11 lb. gun recoil could take a toll.

Thanks for the info ben. That leads me to another question. If one ordered a reproduction Sharps chambered in say 45-90 would it be the proper chambering, as you described, for long range use? I was unaware there was a difference.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    Thanx Chris.

Pretty well all their calibers have to be hand loaded? No real factory stuff?

Someone told me/read the 45/70 ammo has to be black powder to get the long range stuff out of it.
    You can definitely shoot smokeless out of a .45-70 Shiloh, but it's just so much more fun shooting bp. I used to have a Pedersoli that I shot smokeless out of, but then I switched to the dark side and haven't looked back

Everybody is different, but I really like casting and loading bp as well. I think that's a big part of the attraction for me. But then I also like paper patched bullets too and that makes me a bit of an oddball with some bp shooters too

Chris.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by hend238 View Post
    Thanks for the info ben. That leads me to another question. If one ordered a reproduction Sharps chambered in say 45-90 would it be the proper chambering, as you described, for long range use? I was unaware there was a difference.
    The Winchester express rifles used a fast twist and light bullets. I don't remember the twist but it's slow. Nowadays 1:18 is the most common for .45 cal bp rifles so you can shoot big heavy bullets with a higher ballistic coefficient for better long range use.

I'm hoping to actually try some long range shooting this year. I've only been shoting bp for a few years and have been too busy working to try those rifles out at a range with some real distance. To date I'm only a 200m bpcr shooter :D

Chris.

It is Shiloh Sharps not sharpes and that guy who you said is the president what is his name because Kirk Bryan is the owner of Shiloh Rifle Company and that does not look like him, lunless he has hired someone to run the company and so he and Heather can go and have fun at all the shoots.

BANNED
    Gunlaker is right, 16 or 18" twist will put you where you want to be with your .45-2 4/10" or .45/90(same thing), my .45/70 Sharps and my .45/100 (2 6/10")Sharps both have 18" twist and work well for long range, the heaviest bullet that I have tested are 595gr.

Quote Originally Posted by ben hunchak View Post
    Gunlaker is right, 16 or 18" twist will put you where you want to be with your .45-2 4/10" or .45/90(same thing), my .45/70 Sharps and my .45/100 (2 6/10")Sharps both have 18" twist and work well for long range, the heaviest bullet that I have tested are 595gr.
    Good info thanks guys.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Where the hell were these????? I missed them...

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kevin.303's Avatar
    on the main floor near the escalators.
    By 2028 the government will realize citizens are outdated now that automation can extract the wealth for them with much less fuss and we'll all be processed into mechanical grease for the robotic grape-pickers on the trudeau family plantation.

RichPoorMan
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnrokon View Post
    It is Shiloh Sharps not sharpes and that guy who you said is the president what is his name because Kirk Bryan is the owner of Shiloh Rifle Company and that does not look like him, lunless he has hired someone to run the company and so he and Heather can go and have fun at all the shoots.
    I didn't say he was the owner, just the president, I just read the title on his SHOT SHOW TAG.

as for typos, I presume "lunless" was supposed to read 'unless'

If you blow up the picture, you can clearly read the name KIRK on his name tag, along with PRES

double owned!
    Bush hunter!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast