Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2011 - Shilo Sharps

Gunlaker,

We have been making the trip now for six years. In fact we go about three times a year. We have never had anything close to a 'hassle' on the way in to the States. In fact we now know some of them by name and they know the names of our dogs. One of the guys shoots a Shiloh and after we're done the official stuff we talk about loads. Last May, our first trip of the year, the Customs man stepped out, looked at the truck and RV and turned to the others inside and said, "it must be summer." He then asked if we had anything he hadn't seen before and were we over our ammo limit as per the permit. We weren't and we were on our way. I have 700 rounds of 45-70 and 700 rounds of 40-65 plus 200 S&W 40 as well as 200 rounds of .22LR on my Form 6NIA. This year I added 350 rounds of 45-90 and don't expect a problem. I don't always have that much but I have had 1100 rounds with me on the way to Raton and other places one year. Getting out can be more of a hassle but as long as you don't have any purchased firearms, ammo you didn't take with you or components of ammo you purchased you will be alright. Occasionally the Homeland Security people conduct searches of all vehicles leaving and lying to them would be costly. I just filled out and sent my form ATF F 5330-3D the other day. it can be filled out on line, printed and mailed. I have seven rifles and a handgun on mine this year. It'll take two weeks in the mail and three weeks for processing. They prefer a fax number to send it back to. I use a Hunting License ($17) because they do not recognize most of the shoots I attend with the exception of Raton. Give it a try, it's worth it.

Paul

Does anyone have some pictures of their own Sharps they want to share? Thanks

CGN Regular Short Knife Johnson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Does anyone have some pictures of their own Sharps they want to share? Thanks
    I'm sure one of us can help you out there.

BANNED
    I'd show some dandy Sharps pics, some posed with dead Bufflers and moose, but I'm old school and don't have a clue on the computer, I can't even cut 'n paste.

I try not to make a habit of splattering pictures of my guns on the interweb, but here's my Shiloh #1 Sporting model. Had to turn it around to get the light after an extended range session.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Edward Teach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Knife Johnson View Post
    I try not to make a habit of splattering pictures of my guns on the interweb, but here's my Shiloh #1 Sporting model. Had to turn it around to get the light after an extended range session.

I hate you... :D
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin command here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    I hate you... :D
    So I shouldn't tell you I have another one of these beauties waiting to cross the border, and a third one in mind. One has to be careful, they tend to accumulate.

Sure is sweet, BTW what is with the devils ears where the rear sight usually sits?

Oh yeah, that's the bottom half to the full buckhorn rear sight. I've been meaning to remove it completely and put a blank in there. When I replaced the old "C. Sharps" vernier tang with the MVA LR Buffalo Soule, I ran into some problems. When sighted in for 200m chickens, if having to dial in lots of windage, the aperature would be obstructed by the sight. When sighting in for 300m pigs, there was a most interesting phenominon. The tips of the buckhorn would combine in the aperature to create a nodal point of light in the centre. So where the target would be, there was a black strip of nothingness. So off it came. My new rifle has been specced with the low profile semi-buckhorn. It will be totally extraneous, but I like the look.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345