SHOT SHOW 2011 - Bushy ACR. Nobody cares anymore?

tootall

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It occurred to me that not only none of us that went down posted anything about the ACR, but also nobody else asked about it.

When it first debuted at SHOT 2006 as the Magpul Masada, it was the biggest story to come out of SHOT that year.
It seems that with the delays, recalls, and especially the huge cost jump, I get the feeling that they have lost most of the momentum it once had.

Fair observation?

Yep, if they had come out with something at least similar to their original price estimates without the major mess-ups, they could have had a HOT seller.

Look at the Kel Tec RFB... (for at least the US price) good price, really cool unique operating system, and it hasn't had any huge QC problems...

The ACR could have done a lot better if they did it right, but they really screwed up on the sales end of the spectrum.

I remember nutnfancy saying somehting about how he was dissapointed in the acr, but I havent heard of the acr very much for a while.
I thought it would take care of itself and become popular...I guess not?

Too expensive in the USA, Tack on an extra $1500 just to bring it to Canada, bad quality control, lots of bad reviews all around, problems with going full auto when it is not supposed to, years of delays....

Yeah, you could say I lost interest a while ago.

Too expensive in the USA, Tack on an extra $1500 just to bring it to Canada, bad quality control, lots of bad reviews all around, problems with going full auto when it is not supposed to, years of delays....

Yeah, you could say I lost interest a while ago.

My thoughts as well...

Not dead, they were on display at the show, but a LOT less interest.
I think the Hitler parody video sums it up best.

Not dead, they were on display at the show, but a LOT less interest.
I think the Hitler parody video sums it up best.

Yup, lol. For those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0Pu-rvFjs

I agree with Blaxsun. The Masada was pretty awesome before Bushmaster got their mitts on it.

The problem is it doesn't offer much and the price is ridiculous.

Over 3K for the base model. You're in Swiss Arms PE-90, and Tavor price ranges, with a bunch at $500 less. The Swiss arms is better made, and a proven design although dated, while the Tavor is state of the art, battle tested and comes with an optic. Yes the ACR offers some nice features. But... it's not battle tested, it's not really that unique anymore and once again the cost is brutal. In the States with the AR I wouldn't even consider an ACR for that price over a top end AR rifle.

If the price were reasonable I think this rifle would sell. But it's not. Pretty much not worth bothering right now.

The problem is it doesn't offer much and the price is ridiculous.

No argument there! It originally weighed 6.7lbs with a retail price of $1,400USD for a 16" version. Compare that to 8lbs-something and over $3,000USD! The ACR really begs the question of how a company could seriously f*ck up such an innovative design. Magpul must be just kicking themselves they didn't go it alone...

Bushmaster totally dropped the ball on the ACR.

Magpul still has the Massoud, which I would like to see go into production, but from a non-Cerberus company. 7.62x51mm/.308 Win carbines seem to be gaining momentum, so it'd be welcome, as long as whatever company gets it doesn't blow the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom