Page 21 of 346 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122232425262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Rossi Ranch Hand Mares Leg

BANNED
    I cant wait to tote around my ranch hand in its new holster attached to its new belt :D

That is true though, having the large lever would make it easier to operate in -40 or lower.

CGN Regular
    I thought the big loop was for snomobile mittens.
    Well that's what we tell the media
    How do you pull the trigger with mittens? And seriously, why tell the media a lie, what is it really for? I'd like one of these, but I don't like the look of the loop.

I'd also like a longer one in 45-70, but I guess the short one wont be available in the same caliber. Could I just cut down a regular 45-70 legally? What are the ballistics of a .44 magnum in a rifle length barrel? Ok for deer or moose at normal distances? Am I stupid to want guns in the same easy to reload caliber?

Sorry for all the questions

BANNED
    Read Wally's post Below
    Last edited by driller212; 02-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quebecer View Post
    How do you pull the trigger with mittens? And seriously, why tell the media a lie, what is it really for? I'd like one of these, but I don't like the look of the loop.

Wanstalls noted that the regular levers are interchangeable, so you're in luck!

I'd also like a longer one in 45-70, but I guess the short one wont be available in the same caliber. Could I just cut down a regular 45-70 legally? What are the ballistics of a .44 magnum in a rifle length barrel? Ok for deer or moose at normal distances? Am I stupid to want guns in the same easy to reload caliber?

Cutting a gun down would mean your barrel would have to be longer than 18.5 inches and overall gun length would have to be over 26 inches. These guns are smaller because the barrels were made by a commercial manufacturer from an unused, uncut blank to this size. The devil is in the details

I personally would be leery of shooting a 45/70 out of a barrel that short without a butt stock.... seems to me you'd lose teeth very quickly. Plus I'm not sure the action is even long enough to handle the cartridge - anyone have any insight on that? In addition to that, the short barrel limits your shot distance, so not sure you'd really get any of the 45/70 benefits over the 44 mag at the ranges it would be useful at. My personal opinion of course.

I think you may have mistaken a bit of humourous banter as an actual conversation.

The larger loop IS for gloves while hunting (not mits) but certainly not snowmobile mitts as you can't hunt while riding a snowmobile.

And we're not actually telling the media anything - it was a joke that revolved around the idea of not wanting to admit that the larger loop allows the gun to be spun
    Avatar by Pottsy. Attitude by birth.

H Wally,

You are correct about the action length, the M-92 action is pretty much a pistol cartridge length action....If you wanted a 45-70 you would have to start with a Winchester 1886 or a Marlin 1895 action. There was discussion in another thread about a short barrel 45-70 and it sound like Bit of Pieces down on the coast was willing to entertain such a project.
    Other than the Liebrals a guns worst enemy is a dremel tool in unskilled hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecer View Post

.44 mag will shine out of this barrel. The little extra weight and a place for a second hand will tame it considerably vs a revolver, even with the hottest loads. Definitely capable of knocking a deer down. And a lot of òld`guns were produced with the same calibre for just the reason you state... far from a new concept.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
    I think you may have mistaken a bit of humourous banter as an actual conversation.

The larger loop IS for gloves while hunting (not mits) but certainly not snowmobile mitts as you can't hunt while riding a snowmobile.

And we're not actually telling the media anything - it was a joke that revolved around the idea of not wanting to admit that the larger loop allows the gun to be spun
    I realized it was a joke but I still wanted the real reason in case I buy one. Using gloves didn't make sense to me because the trigger guard doesn't look any larger. Imagine opening the lever and sticking a gloved finger on the trigger and then closing the lever, 'boom'.

The 'spinning' actually makes sense if it didn't seem like such a dumb idea. Imagine being attacked by a bear and saying "Wait! Wait! Watch this." The bear would stop and die laughing.

I'd like to have a gun(s) for all uses without having to by them all (I guess I'm not a true nut). I'm planning to build a cottage on some land way in the bush. This would be a perfect 'convince my wife of bear defense' gun to use while working. But does it, or the reloading equipment I'd buy have any other uses such as hunting.

I realized it was a joke but I still wanted the real reason in case I buy one. Using gloves didn't make sense to me because the trigger guard doesn't look any larger. Imagine opening the lever and sticking a gloved finger on the trigger and then closing the lever, 'boom'.
    Well you wouldn't want to do that either way - closing the lever while trying to put your finger on the trigger gets your finger pinched horribly bad. (ask me how I know ) The trigger doesn't move with the lever, it stays where it is.

With a larger loop it is easier with gloves. But it's also faster to cycle the actions in some people's opinions.
    The 'spinning' actually makes sense if it didn't seem like such a dumb idea. Imagine being attacked by a bear and saying "Wait! Wait! Watch this." The bear would stop and die laughing.
    Hehehe - he might well at that I don't know that spinning would be much faster anyway even if you did prefer not to have one in the chamber. I guess you could argue that it lets you load the gun one handed, but really that's not likely to be a major factor.

I'd like to have a gun(s) for all uses without having to by them all (I guess I'm not a true nut). I'm planning to build a cottage on some land way in the bush. This would be a perfect 'convince my wife of bear defense' gun to use while working. But does it, or the reloading equipment I'd buy have any other uses such as hunting.
    It would be hell on deer as far out as you could effectively shoot it, but to be honest it's not a 'one gun does it all' kind of gun. For that you'd be better off with the 16 inch carbine model or the like. Or at least put a full stock on it. I wouldn't say 'don't take it hunting' - but it's not ideally suited for it.

To be honest It sounds like you'd be better off with a marlin 'guide gun' in 45-70 - it's short, easy to carry, will ruin any bear's day and is good for deer and moose at longer ranges. Or buy a shotgun with a slug and smooth bore barrel. That'll do ANYTHING from birds to deer etc
    Avatar by Pottsy. Attitude by birth.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Put me on the want list. My promise of.... This is my last gun I swear honey... Might have to be bent.