UPDATE: Rossi Ranch Hand Mares Leg

well you guys can check out what he does for me, and see if you like what you see... I will post pics of it when it is done. He is very reasonable and is good to work with so far!

Well i'm really interested to see what spacesaver comes up with, and seeing as he'll likely finish before the gun gets here i think he should be required to post some pics of the process as he goes, to give us some idea of what it's going to look like :)

its a lever action rifle they are usually pretty damn strong and reliable in my experience, the designs are based off of the 92/94 winchester models if I am not mistaken.

I could be wrong though :p

There was discussion some time ago when the longer Rossi '92s came along about shooting hot loads through them. The older, Winchester 1892s arent meant for hot loads.

These Rossi ones are up to the challenge though because of the metals used.

Thats why they can make a .454 Cassul '92.

At least, that was the consensus among the internets.

I might try a few warm to hot loads in my carbine just to see (same action), but i don't know how 'hot' you'd want a 44 mag to run in a gun with essentially no stock. Might be a little hard to control.

I'm thinking a relatively standard 240 grain load will do the trick. :)

Foxer, and anyone else who is following this thread,
Were somebody silly enough to ask me my thoughts, oh wait, you did;} I stand 5'6", weigh around 165-170lbs. I would look for a holster to be able to move with me when I bend over, sit down, allow me to go down on my knees if needed. What I had in mind was similar to the set-up from Mernickle, but with a swivel immediately beneath the belt to allow for movement. I will probably make just that, whether it works or not, as a proof of concept vehicle. From there I will see what the positives vs. negatives are and adjust accordingly. I have access to a Marlin 336 for some rough dimensions, but may have to ask someone for some reasonably accurate dimensions from a VERY close copy.
At this time I am working with an IDPA shooter who is also a LONGtime outdoorsman as to ideas for the thigh strap; location, how tight, method of attachment, so on. When all is said and done, I am confident that the end product will be long-lasting, good looking, and also customisable. I am also open to any and all thought from you guys, after all, you will be using them!!
Cheers,
spacesaver.

As for the swivel,will it be along the lines of the U.S.M1912 Cavalry holster?

Seems "nothing new under the sun" applies here!!:) Thats pretty much what I had envisioned, and you can see why they went that route with that pistol as well; long holster, worn low(drop-leg in todays words), strap to keep it from slapping the rider silly or fouling the rider when mounting/dis-mounting, and a sturdy pivot with a large pivot axis so as to spread the weight of the holster and firearm over a greater area and not tear at the leather. The whole idea seems sound to me, glad to have seen it applied elsewhere.
Cheers!!

I really like the idea of the swivel sounds great to me, slap the bullet holders on and I,ll take it!:cool:

Well, actually, I had thought of including about a dozen bullet loops on the belt, centered on the back. The one I'm currently making for driller212 will have some tooling on the sides, 12 bullet loops on the back, and an antiqued brass buckle too. Will post pics as it comes along.
Cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom