Page 1 of 346 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Rossi Ranch Hand Mares Leg

BANNED

Thumbs up UPDATE: Rossi Ranch Hand Mares Leg

I thought these rifles should have their own thread, for shipment updates and price updates etc.

For those of you that dont know, the rossi ranch hand is a mares leg rifle with a 12 inch barrel and cut down butt stock and has an OAL of 24".

Gary recently informed us that these rifles have been classified as non-res and has an order coming in of 44magnum, 357magnum/38spl, and 45LC

$650 is the ESTIMATED price these will be coming in for and we can only hope it is less than or equal to that.

I am looking forward to purchasing one as it will make for the perfect bush gun for animal defense, and will be just a handy little rifle to carry around the farm.

I think these rifles will be a popular item and I appreciate Gary going through the trouble to bring them into the country!

UPDATE: First shipment is due at the end of march.

Holsters are being looked into by Gary from Wanstalls (see posts 64 through 72), and spacesaver is also looking into making holsters.

Also I am getting PMs asking which dealer is selling these oddly enough... this is the dealer wanstalls section, and it is wanstalls who is bringing these rifles in to Canada.

EDIT: More info will be added to help out new ranch hand owners with resources/problems HERE:

Documentation showing FRT for if the fuzz show up: http://www.wanstallsonline.com/pdf/Rossi-NON.pdf

Problems/ Solutions:

Shooting High: - low rear buckhorn sight and any front sight from steves guns works http://www.stevesgunz.com/

Loading gate functionality problems (hit and miss and rare) - no known cure besides a gunsmith/new parts etc

Fiocci ammo apparently doesn't work too well

Accessories
    Voodoo tactical breacher scabbard works well for attaching to molle gear and backpacks.
    Holsters are available through wanstalls
    Scout mount and various sights from steves gun works and brownells http://www.brownells.com/
    http://www.stevesgunz.com/
    Last edited by driller212; 05-15-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Where did you get the $650 estimate from? I had heard that they would be closer to $1300. I would love to have one of these little gems in 44mag but would not be willing to spend over ~$1000

BANNED
    no you are thinking about the puma/chiappa mares leg rifles. they are very pricey! this is a different brand, these are made by taurus I believe and should be much more affordable than the puma and chiappa. I am on the waitlist for one at the moment and cannot stop thinking about them so I decided to put up a thread :D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnt_servo's Avatar
    here is a bit of history to try to keep things straight .

up until about a year ago all the puma 1892's where built by rossi .

rossi and taurus merged

now the puma's are built by chiappa

the puma chiappa's maresleg are pricey ( ie the 1,300 mentioned earlier )

the rossi / taurus ranch hand models are much much cheaper ( ie the 650 mentioned earlier )

quality wise , comparing 1892 rifles side by side the rossi's feel better built .

also the rossi have been chambered in 454 casull , the chiappa 1892 never has . this tells me the rossi has has to make sure their actions are very well built to handle the 65,000 psi of the casull round .

i am hoping this will carry over into their ranch hand rifles as well .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    The smallest gun you can legally carry in the wilderness, without an ATC.

I think these things will be flying off the shelf.

BANNED
    they will be guaranteed IMO.

thats why I asked Gary to hold one for me from the first shipment :D but its killing me not knowing when they will come in!

Yeah, i think rossi/taurus have a real winner on their hands here.

I'm hoping they'll actually come in less than 650 - they sell for less than that in the states.

From a marketing point of view it has a lot of potential - it's the same action as their already popular 1892 carbines and rifles, so it's not like they have to have a different manufacturing plant or tools and dies, just shorter barrels/mags and a shorter stock. So it lets them open up new markets for a product they're already manufacturing.

These are catching on a little in the states and I suspect they'll do very well here. And that is good -because if a lot of them fly off the shelves it makes it very hard for the cops to reclassify later.

I hope rossi can ramp up their production to fill the need. It's the closest thing to a pistol we're likely to be allowed to carry in the woods for some time.

I'll be picking one up in 44 mag to go with my 44 mag carbine.
    Avatar by Pottsy. Attitude by birth.

BANNED
    good choice in caliber foxer, I am getting one in 44mag too :D

now just to get a drop leg holster that I can use both on my belt and backpack... I wonder if a few of us got together and ordered a bunch of the same holster from laroche leathers if he would give us a nice price ...

Hey good idea for a dedicated thread driller. I have been thinking about ordering one of these for a while. Also I have found a couple mare's leg holsters and am wondering if they would fit a ranch hand? What do you guys think, here are a couple links.

ww w.oldtradingpost.com/old-west-store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_95&produc ts_id=3225

ww w.replicaweaponry.com/22-701.html

Despite the better looks of the first one I'm thinking my wallet might only be able to handle the cheaper one.
    Last edited by AlbertaGunslinger; 02-07-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Unwanted link
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms" - Thomas Jefferson
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin
    Proud Member of the the CPC

BANNED
    i think the problem with the second one is that it works with replicas that have no sights. I think sights would damage the leather rings and make it hard to pull the rifle out. I am considering laroche leathers for a custom one because from what it sounds like thier prices are fair, and they do fantastic work ( I looked up a couple threads on them).

if you look up gunblast.com's review of the rifle, he uses a nice holster cheaper than the mcqueen one, but still around 250 US. I think it would be much cheaper to order from laroche leathers, especially if a few of us got together and got him to make duplicates of a custom design.

Page 1 of 346 1234567891121 ... LastLast