Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415161718192021222434 ... LastLast

Thread: Gsg stg-44 non-restricted rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Drewz View Post
    Ummmmm what would you reuse rimfire brass for????????
    a rim fire necklace

I think he was talking about the centerfire version that someone else makes..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewz View Post
    Ummmmm what would you reuse rimfire brass for????????
    I have a friend who swages them into bullet jackets. They are pretty accurate, too. I realize not a lot of people do that but they can be re-used to answer your question.
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman View Post
    I have a friend who swages them into bullet jackets. They are pretty accurate, too. I realize not a lot of people do that but they can be re-used to answer your question.
    +1.

I read an interesting article on it a few years back.

You swage the used brass into a .223 bullet, and fill it with lead.

Assuming you do not put a price on your time, you have essentially free .223 bullets.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    You swage the used brass into a .223 bullet, and fill it with lead.

Assuming you do not put a price on your time, you have essentially free .223 bullets.
    "Free", other than the cost of the lead and the cost of the swaging dies and press, both of which are not even close to being cheap.

But other than all those significant costs, then yes, nearly "free".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suputin View Post
    "Free", other than the cost of the lead and the cost of the swaging dies and press, both of which are not even close to being cheap.

You could get that free....

if someone gives it too you

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ar180shooter's Avatar

1. Set everything up in front of the T.V.
    2. Put on Season 1 of Stargate SG1.
    3. ????
    4. $Profit$
    "If everybody you meet is an a$shole, then you're probably the problem, not them."

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar180shooter View Post
    1. Set everything up in front of the T.V.
    2. Put on Season 1 of Stargate SG1.
    3. ????
    4. $Profit$
    South Park underpants gnomes reference?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar

You are going to the wrong tire shops if you are paying alot for Lead. You are going to tire shops... right?

The cost of the swaging dies is insignificant when you consider the break-even costs, and anybody who would be considering reusing .22lr brass for .223 bullets is almost certainly a reloader with at least one or two presses.

And I call your and raise you a
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    The cost of the swaging dies is insignificant when you consider the break-even costs, and anybody who would be considering reusing .22lr brass for .223 bullets is almost certainly a reloader with at least one or two presses.
    I looked into it a while back and a set of swaging dies are several hundreds of dollars. Don't remember the exact cost but $600 sticks in my mind.

Swaging requires a much heavier press than 99% of reloaders have on their bench. And a swaging press is a lot more expensive than a Rockchucker.

You can't use wheel weight for swaging. Swaging requires pure lead wire which is cut ito chunks that fit into the jacket. How you gonna get wheel weight into those little jackets?

Also if you don't spend a bunch of time weighing the bits of lead that go into the jackets, all your bullets will very greatly in weight and thus be worthless.

If you actually look into it you will discover that a swaging setup costs quite a lot of money, and is a lot more difficult than just whacking a few bits together and pulling the arm on a press which is why few people do it.

I'd respect your a lot more if you actually had done the research or knew what you were talking about.

Expected mag capacity ?