Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 Bore Safari

CGN Regular
    Congratulations on a great hunt,and thanks for posting the pictures they are fantastic.I to would be interested in the price of your 8 bore.
    Cheers Chris.
    PS Maybe I should lend you my 600NE next time you go.
    Short and fat hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Thanks for the post and pics, looks amazing.
    You couldn't be this lazy if you tried, trying defeats the purpose :D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Republic of Alberta's Avatar
    Wow!!!! That looks like an awesome hunt!!! I can't believe the size of your ivory! and with and 8 bore too!!!

The 8 bore slugs, are they made of pure lead or are they slightly hardened? Did you cast them yourself??
    A man must feel the beat of a hardy life in his veins before he can be a good big game hunter.

Theodore Roosevelt

David and Chris, the Rogers Rock 8 Bore will be around $35,000.00, I have to work the exact price out. That will include a set of custom dies and 10 new unfired brass, I also have Black Powder load info. If you are intrested please e-mail me at John@wolverinesupplies.com I will be sorry to sell her, I have had a lot of fun with her, but it is time to start saving for my next safari.

Chris, thanks, but I will pass, your .600 NE is to much gun for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Republic of Alberta View Post
    Wow!!!! That looks like an awesome hunt!!! I can't believe the size of your ivory! and with and 8 bore too!!!

The 8 bore slugs, are they made of pure lead or are they slightly hardened? Did you cast them yourself??
    I purchased the bullets ready cast for $1 each. They are a lead alloy, very hard but based on my experance they wouldn't hurt to be even harder. A custom mold would be $3-400 dolllars and then I would be stuck with one weight and style. I have acess to 1000 gr round bulls and bullets up to 1650 grains. I did wimp out at them, and stayed with 1270 as a max.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 03-15-2011 at 10:17 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Republic of Alberta's Avatar
    I use 530g (I think) hardened round balls out of my 12 gauge pump at about 1300fps. That is enough for me. I could not even imagine adding another 1000g on top of that along with the additional recoil of a heavy black powder charge. Yikes, no wonder those guns are 17lbs.

I once held a 12 bore paradoxed rifle, it was a light weight, probably for light charges for cats. I wish I could have bought it. It was an under lever. It was beautiful.
    A man must feel the beat of a hardy life in his veins before he can be a good big game hunter.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenblut View Post
    Hello John,

Thanks for the answers to the questions. I am curious, as I understood Ivory could not be imported into Canada. How did you manage to do so/were you able to?

Cheers,
    Drachenblut
    Legally hunted ivory with the correct permits can be imported into Canada. A CITES (Convention In Trading Endanger Species) permit is a "must" then there is no problem. Elephants are not an endangered species, in some areas the population is way too high and if the numbers are not reduced serious habitat destruction will take place. What is not generally understood is that when this habitat is destroyed, other species suffer seriously long before it effects the Elephant. The number of Ellie that can be harvested each year is strictly controlled. Over 70% of the money I paid will go directly into the local community.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 03-16-2011 at 12:14 PM.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalonthas View Post
    ??? what is the basis or point of your post.
    Maybe he doesn't know why people hunt elephant?

Why? What is your point? You going to insult or belittle him in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyslayer 1300 View Post
    Care to elaborate,.....

If you have a problem with the legal taking of a game animal I would suggest you take up another sport. Or at least not post in forums where others share their hunting stories.

Same to you. Why so defensive? He asked a question, he doesn't know why.
    Why should he take up another sport? This is not the hunting forum, just so you know.

Care to elaborate why he has to give up hunting because you say so?

I don't know why someone hunts elephant either, So what vexatious comments will you 2 say about me?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Barry F's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rivetc78 View Post

Why should he take up another sport? This is not the hunting forum, just so you know.

I don't know why someone hunts elephant either, So what vexatious comments will you 2 say about me?
    Because the tone of his asking this question is suggestive of it being immoral. "I'm a hunter, but an elaphant? Really????"

Take that crap to Rabble.ca.
    Your average lib or dipper is so crooked that when they die, the undertaker has to screw them into the ground.-colt45cz75
    CSSA, NFA, WRP, CPC member....Join now!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by rivetc78 View Post

He already explained why though:

Elephants are not an endangered species, in some areas the population is way too high and if the numbers are not reduced serious habitat destruction will take place. What is not generally understood is that when this habitat is destroyed, other species suffer seriously long before it effects the Elephant. The number of Ellie that can be harvested each year is strictly controlled. Over 70% of the money I paid will go directly into the local community.
    I don't really care if other people do it, just like I don't care if people club seals. Doubt I could do it though but that doesn't mean others shouldn't and can't.