8 Bore Safari

Mr Wolverine

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
8 Bore Safari

IMG_3798.jpg

Hunting in very thick lush green cover. Left to right, Johan Hermann, myself and Jeff Smith.

IMG_3830.jpg

He was bull number 27 on day four.

IMG_3930.jpg

He was a great old warrior who fought to the end.

IMG_4053.jpg

I am very proud of these.

IMG_4015.jpg

My best shot, brained at 35 m, I was very pleased, my PH Johan Hermann of Rigby Big Game Safaris is beside me.

More details to follow.

Last edited:
WOW! Very manly caliber, decisively ends the debate on what one should carry for dangerous game.

Very impressive kills. Is there a limit on the age/location/amount of animals you can take? (What happened to the rest of the elephant and water buffalo? Steaks?)

Great hunting, and I am sure at great cost. Once in a lifetime!

The hunt of a lifetime for us regular schucks! If that's your Rogers & Rock 8 bore, then
I would assume that you took your game using 1250gr. conicals at around 1450fps.
Hell, even a reduced load at 1150fps. would be fine with a carefully placed shot.
Congrats on a successful hunt.....ya lucky bugger!

The hunt of a lifetime for us regular schucks! If that's your Rogers & Rock 8 bore, then
I would assume that you took your game using 1250gr. conicals at around 1450fps.
Hell, even a reduced load at 1150fps. would be fine with a carefully placed shot.
Congrats on a successful hunt.....ya lucky bugger!

No not the Rogers Rock, at the last minute I found a Manton with a one inch shorter stock that fit me perfectly so I used her instead. I will have the Rock up for sale shortly along with custom brass and bullets. I used a 1270 grain bullet behind 11 Dram of FFG at close to 1400 fps. I changed to an 1150 grain bullet with 11 Dram + (Loaded in camp with no scales!) of Swiss 1 1/2 FG this must have been close to 1600 fps, I shot the Hippo with this load and have the bullet, it didn,t exit the skull. Photos to follow.

The tusks on your elephant are incredible and you have the right to be proud. Jealousy rears her ugly head. How heavy were the tusks if I may ask? Congratulations all around!

My god that looks like a hell of a trip! Thanks for posting the pics! Congratulations on the bull elephant, that's some nice ivory!

Cheers
Jay

8 Bore Rifles

IMG_4273.jpg

Top, Manton, 24 inch barrels, 17.2 lb.
Rogers Rock, 26 inch barrels, 16.5 lb. (For sale)

The Safari was with Rigby Big Game Safari’s, Phalaborwa, SA. Office + 27 83 791 3251
PH was Johan Hermann

Back
Top Bottom