Got high capacity S&W or Chiappa magazines? Please read!

North_Sylva

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hi CGNer's,

As I'm sure most of you are already aware, S&W M&P 15-22 original 25 round magazine's and the Chiappa M4-22 magazines are now considered a "prohibited device" by the RCMP since both companies decided to release a pistol variant of the popular designs.

Any rifles originally equipped with these magazines are now required to only contain a maximum capacity of 10 rounds.

We have been in talks with the CFO who are now allowing us to pin these magazines to the legal limit.

If you have any of these magazines and would like them modified to be compliant with the new rulings, we are now offering this service for the cost of $3 per magazine plus the cost of return shipping.

Please contact jeff@northsylva.com to obtain a return authorization number. Modifications will be done on a first come first serve basis.

thanks,

Any progress on getting un-neutered magazines from S&W or the other guys using a different part number, thus making them O.K. and specific for the rifle.

Extra cost to neutar the mags. Sad.

All firearms purchased new in store will have this modification already done at no charge.

Please note at the time of sale these magazines were 100 % legal, we cannot be held accountable if the Government decides to change the rules at the drop of a hat.

The $3 is a base fee that only covers the cost of materials. And at the time we are the only company offering this service.

Any progress on getting un-neutered magazines from S&W or the other guys using a different part number, thus making them O.K. and specific for the rifle.

We won't be bringing in any other versions of this magazine until we put a dent in the thousands of "pinned" mags we currently have in inventory.

Why S&W decided to make a "pistol" version of the gun is anyones guess. Just dumb IMHO. The RCMP could have banned it's entry for some reason and left the mag capacity as it was.

Making this rifle restricted based upon looks was perhaps dumber than S&W move but then nobody recently, said the RCMP management team has a high degree of competancy either.

Good on North Silva for offering this service.

Take Care

Bob

you know, maybe im outa the loop, but i thought there was no mag capacity problems with rimfire firearms? does this only aply because this is a restricted firearm or ...?

No; All "handguns" must be limited to 10 round magazines, regardless of caliber.
Although these are indeed rimfire rifles, the same magazines are also made for a handgun variant. (Thus making them suddenly illegal)

No, it is because there is an M&P15-22 pistol, so the mags that work in both are now reduced to 10 rounds because they are also a pistol magazine.

Now, just to confuse matters, S&W has stopped production of the M&P 15-22 pistol, so now it appears that stores are selling the 25rnd mags again.

I have no idea, I sold my rifle over all this crap, but if we're back on 25rds I'll buy another, no problem. Great guns!

Won't matter, once a prohibited device always as such. As long as one S&W M&P22 exists, the mag with that part number will be prohib. Release exactly the same mag with a different part number now that there is no pistol and "Bob is your uncle".

Funny they still sell the unpinned ones at the local gun stores and the new guns still have the unpinned one in the box...I have asked owners of the stores I have seen them in about them being prohibited and they tell me that they have received no such notification from the CFO and still sell them...

Just like thousands of owners who have them and have not been notified, nice to see the 3billion waste of space working great...

There a lot of recent posts on this issue. Does anyone from North Sylva have anything new to report? Did the M&P AR pistol even make it into Canada before it was discontinued?

Back
Top Bottom