Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What i can or cant bring across the border

Quote Originally Posted by Amelio View Post
    I was down at dickies in walden galleria and there was a 22 break open pellet gun.1200 fps for 60 $. The thought did cross my mind not worth the risk though to save a few hundred.
    In the US airguns are not considered firearms at all so it is not restricted for export under ITAR. You could have legally bought that air gun in the US, legally exported it out of the US, claimed it at the Canadian border, and then shown your PAL to the nice people at CBSA since a 1200 fps air rifles is a firearm here in Canada.
    Fusilier
    Webmaster for:
    IPSC NS - www.ipscns.ca

I thought that I would add some information here that may/may not help. This is from the Canadian Explosives Act at Natural Resources Canada. The Explosives Act has recently been updated and revised. It also covers smokeless propellents and dwelling storage, etc.

Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of Ammunition
    Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale). If you plan to resell the cartridges or to import more than 5,000 rounds, you need an import permit. Similarly, you can export and transport in-transit up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges for personal use without an export and transport in-transit permit, but you need a permit if you plan to resell the cartridges or to export and transport in-transit more than 5,000 rounds.

An additional concern may be how one would purchase ammunition in the US as Canadian firearms licenses may not be valid in the US. As well, there may be state laws that prevent transporting ammunition between states, so getting an ammunition purchase to the border may also be a problem!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    I thought that I would add some information here that may/may not help. This is from the Canadian Explosives Act at Natural Resources Canada. The Explosives Act has recently been updated and revised. It also covers smokeless propellents and dwelling storage, etc.

Importation, Exportation and Transportation In-Transit of Ammunition
    Any individual can import up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges into Canada without an import permit if they are for personal use (i.e., not for resale). If you plan to resell the cartridges or to import more than 5,000 rounds, you need an import permit. Similarly, you can export and transport in-transit up to 5,000 rounds of small arms cartridges for personal use without an export and transport in-transit permit, but you need a permit if you plan to resell the cartridges or to export and transport in-transit more than 5,000 rounds.
    Canada may allow the import, but the US will not allow the export under ITAR (without the export license)...... same as the firearm parts.

Generally CBSA could give a #### about the importation unless they are restricted or prohib items here.

Catch 22 since the Canadian Government decided we didn't want the exemption when it was initially offered.
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Milanczar's Avatar
    Cabin boy aboard the New England whaler Pequod
    -Is it legal in Canada to buy ammo from the US Online?
    Yup, totally legal.
    It is often necessary particularily with some types of rare and/or obscure ammunition etc.

It is not that difficult although there is some expense you can mitigate by dealing with the right importer and an inevitable delay of about 2-3
    months but under the circumstances if you have no choice it does get the job done over waiting for something like that to show up on the
    Canadian market and finding it before somebody else does.

Several importers that are sponsors etc on GN perform the import services and have specific instructions on how to do so starting first
    with establishing that the seller in the US will deal with the process.

As long as you follow the instructions and deal with a competent importer I can recommend the process and I have never had a problem with it.
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    Not correct. Slings and sling mounts and scope mounts are not controlled for export out of the US. Ammunition and ammunition components (brass, primers, powder) are explicitly controlled for export so you cannot legally export them out of the US. While you can legally bring them into Canada, you cannot legally bring them out of the US. You have to satisfy the rules, laws and regulations of both countries if you're bringing something out of the US and into Canada.
    I have read that "non-Operable components such as iron sights, grips, various mounts, slings, flashlights, optics, and many other accessories are NOT governed under ITAR/USML BUT are control and governed by the Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations (EAR)."

Do I need to get an export permit from the "EAR" if I plan on buying things such as a bipod, sling, and flashlight?

There a Desert eagle grip that is impossible to find in Canada and even with Freedom ventures(asked em already)

that i could be ordering to a mail/shipping center near the Can. Border.

More Specifically a rubber grip made by hogue grips for magnum research. (the one without finger grooves)

Should i forget about this? or it would fall under the 100$ ITAR rule?
    gunpowder for breakfast and Trudeau for the circus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123