Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to shoot? South Vancouver Island

hi there
    im looking for to buy my 1 handgun
    which one should i buy ? and aslo someone told me abt BIKAL VIKING 446
    can anyone tell me abt this gun.

Has there been any secret spots found yet? Dammit guys I know for a fact there has got to be a few 1k yard crown land areas that you guys arent sharing.....I dont blame you!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNJ View Post
    Has there been any secret spots found yet? Dammit guys I know for a fact there has got to be a few 1k yard crown land areas that you guys arent sharing.....I dont blame you!
    I have been assured that they exist (well at least 800yrd spots). But I certainly don't know where they are.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    Zombie thread revival alert.

We're moving to Nanoose Bay so I'm looking for crown land with 500m plus shooting potential.

I see lots of clearcuts that look road accessible that are in the +700m range and run parallel to the road. They look promising.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post
    Zombie thread revival alert.

We're moving to Nanoose Bay so I'm looking for crown land with 500m plus shooting potential.

I see lots of clearcuts that look road accessible that are in the +700m range and run parallel to the road. They look promising.

Yeah.. remember you need to be no less than 400m from any hwy to discharge a fire arm. Also, I just moved to a place about 20 km south of Courtenay.I was on the mainland prior.
    The Island Timberlands DB's and the TimberWest DB's (amoung others) both have a strangle hold on a fair portion of the island (Thank you BCgov. -past 'n' present , Lord Dunsmuir and HR MacMillan!!) You'll have great difficulty finding decent range because the property "they own" is all gated and they have signs stating no shooting or hunting during the week. and only on weekends might you be able to get in.. if youre lucky but i doubt it. I have yet to see an open gate. Of course behind the gates exist all sorts of ranges with good reach. Like 500m min.. but yeah. stay out! KEEP OUT !! GO AWAY!!! WE DONT LIKE YOUR KIND HERE!!! thats pretty much what it feels like when you read the sign(s). on a side note... need fire wood? just wait till you find out what a permit costs you to go in there and clean up their rape mess.....

When you do find a place.... Dont forget to pick up your brass and plastic. It truly is an eyesore for such beautiful surroundings. If you must drop your brass and plastic, take it to victoria and place it on the lawns of parliment. Just an idea... or your local mainland city hall.

Ive also visited BC assessment to look at all the private land on VI. Strangely enough my place and all the places of my friends, neighbours, and countrymen show up.. but for what ever odd reason the "private lands" owned by the above mentioned land rapers does not.. even in the interior around Kelowna you can see private range land on the "service". So, one such as myself who considers himself to be logical and reasonable cannot with any certainty verify where private land ends and crown land begins. its a real "wtf?!?!" sort of situation.

Campbell river area supposedly has a fish n game club that has a 600 m length of real estate dedicated to those times when you really feel like reaching out and touching something, but thats in CR. A long drive. Try Cook Creek FSR. I was up there not long ago and their seems to be a few spots that might work. You may have to go in like 10km tho... Its nice up there.. so... pack it in, pack it out.. or they are liable to put up a gate.......

CGN Regular
    Just went hunting up Kapoor Main and was disappointed to see shotgun/sks shells and shot up appliances everywhere. Makes all gun owners look bad and ensures that gates will be locked in the future. Please stay in Victoria if you are planning on coming up to Shawnigan to make a mess of our woods.
    "We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction."
    -Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by stephen492 View Post
    Just went hunting up Kapoor Main and was disappointed to see shotgun/sks shells and shot up appliances everywhere. Makes all gun owners look bad and ensures that gates will be locked in the future. Please stay in Victoria if you are planning on coming up to Shawnigan to make a mess of our woods.
    I think that's the main problem with back woods shooting these days. Lots of trash left behind. People never obey the leave nothing but footprints behind motto anymore.

I would live to find a good backwoods place to shoot anywhere on the island. You used to be able to get keys to the logging roads if you had or knew anyone with property up that way. I havent known anyone in a long while with the keys though.

Interesting this thread has come up again. I moved to Nanaimo from the lower mainland a few months ago and was all excited because I thought I was finally going to be able to go out in the bush and plink tin cans with relative ease. Then I learned that timberwest and island timberlands have a complete and total strangle hold on back woods access. I've found through Google earth and topo maps all kinds of great places to go target shooting but unfortunately they are all gated off.

Island timberlands actually has a road access blog for weekend use but they don't exactly clarify what kind of activity is permitted. They do say no quads, camping, or fires.

However I'm sure given a little more time I will figure out a way to circumvent their blockades and enjoy the woodlands that the government gave them to rape pillage and destroy. I also suspect certain locals with certain privileges have access and it's just a matter of meeting them and proving you're trustworthy. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

BANNED
    Mt Washington 49.735055,-125.211702

Take your quad pass where the old bridge used to be and you will find plenty of nice long spots to shoot.

No one ever bothers me up there :-)

Awesome thanks for the tip. I just checked the access blog and it now says "no target practice/shooting" - "unless authorized by island timberlands"... yeah right like they are going to authorize anyone.

Also a good tip - if you take a tarp or poly with you when you go shooing, just lay it down where you're shooting and then when you're finished you can pick it up and dump all spent brass/casings into a box, container, etc.... EZPZ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast