Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to shoot? South Vancouver Island

Where to shoot? South Vancouver Island

Hi guys,

I live in Victoria BC, and am wondering if any members that live on the Island can point me to somewhere I could shoot on Crown land. A few guys I know told me about somewhere on Old Renfew Rd north of Shawnigan Lake where I could go and spend an afternoon. But, was curious if there are other spots where I could go...

Thanks in advance!!

Did you ever find any good places to go?

CGN Regular
    The ranges I know of are langford rangers, North Saanich Gun range, and Vancouver Island Fish and Game (malahat range)

VIFGA is easiest to get into from what I hear.

As for places to shoot I always see some spent ammo casing when I used to go 4byin out near the power lines near sooke (before I had my PAL)

I had someone take me to the Range on McTavish Rd and was impressed with the set up and range officers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ultimate_monkey's Avatar
    Out Jordan river way , shawni are the places I go.

I hear that the RCMP are cracking down on Shawnigan bush shooters. I have a friend that lives off Renfrew road and there have been alot of busts.....seems they seize your guns and let you have them back regardless if they should have taken them or not.
    I copied this from island 4x4's site, it outlines why they are cracking down.

Concerns over firearms being used inappropriately on rural properties in the Shawnigan Lake area have been renewed after police seized guns, ammo and marijuana from a vehicle in the 2700 block of Renfrew Road just after midnight on May 2.

Shawnigan Lake RCMP officers seized five rifles, one shotgun, a substantial amount of ammunition and a small amount of pot after the late-night spot check on a Jeep Cherokee parked on the side of the road.

The SUV's headlights were curiously turned off just as the patrol car rolled by, which prompted police to have a closer look.

According to police, the three men in the Jeep said they had been target shooting in the rural, forested areas west of Shawnigan Lake and Koksilah Provincial Park.

Shawnigan Lake RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Jason Kerr said it was determined that all three men had been drinking and had not stored their guns properly.

The trio, which includes a 21-year-old from Shawnigan and two Victoria men, now face charges.

"Instances involving the inappropriate use of firearms in the forested/ rural areas around the lake are increasing," Kerr said.

"In 2010, Shawnigan Lake RCMP responded to a total of 10 complaints involving the careless use of firearms. In 2011, that number increased to 29," he explained.

"To date in 2012, the detachment has responded to 18 complaints about the careless use of firearms, that compares to 10 complaints for the same time period in 2011."

Those wishing to shoot their guns should do so legally at one of the established gun ranges that are available on the south Island, Kerr suggested.

Mounties will be upping their efforts in the investigation and enforcement of unsafe and/or illegal gun use.

"The RCMP encourage the public to report persons observed using firearms in an unsafe manner," Kerr said.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ultimate_monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willisjake View Post
    Those wishing to shoot their guns should do so legally at one of the established gun ranges that are available on the south Island, Kerr suggested.
    Well theres the problem, the RCMP doent even know where its legal to shoot or not...

sure report carless firearms use but why should i be punished for doing a LEGAL activity..

the way i look at it.. how many times have i been swept with a muzzle in the bush.. 0!!

how many times at VFGPA , oh im gonna say 15 or 16 times iv had a LOADED gun pointed at me... yup thats more responsable then out in the middle of no hwere

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post

why should i be punished for doing a LEGAL activity..
    Systemic anti gun/anti self defense activism by the Canadian political and criminal justice systems spanning 4 decades.

c-51, c-17, c-68, PQ bill 9, bogus charges pursuant to non-existent "laws", people criminally charged for defending themselves and their homes with firearms, seizure of Montague's home, forced closures of shooting clubs, blatant anti gun activism by RCMP and CFOs.

It's been around for quite a while now.

I'm also interested in this. I'm thinking about joining a range, but shooting outside would be a lot more fun.

My only real concern is that I might be unaware of some law prohibiting shooting in a certain area. Can you guys share some precise locations with a good backstop/hill where I could practice shooting some cans with my 12ga? I'd also be up for going with another shooter -- msg me if interested. I'm west of Langford near Goldstream.

I've been shooting near Shawnigan for quite some time, have recently been shooting farther north but I'm not sure I'll be going back to the lake, just to avoid any potential heat (not that I'm doing anything wrong, and run a tight operation when using firearms). I can understand a seizer of firearms if its from some drunk guys out driving, acting shady by turning off their headlights, packing drugs while improperly storing their weapons. They don't come off as the responsible type.
    Last edited by patadelacruz; 01-03-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    Genesis 9:3 "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you..." :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast