Any Plans for a .308 AR? MAJOR UPDATE MAY 8 2014

This is a very interesting project Rick. Hope it works out to an NR.

My only dissapointment would be that in order for it to look NR (as we all know it plays a big role in the "classification process") we as future customers would need to invest another good chunk of $$ to change it to what it should be like in the 1st place. Its just sad that its the way you have to go about it.

By looks alone I would LOVE it to be like the HK Mr308.

Any pricing in mind?

$2,500?

$3,500?

$4,500?

You misunderstood.

I'm asking if you can show a picture of the CAD file, much like this:

ar15_drawing_lower_2.jpg

Oh he CAN show you a CAD file, but I doubt he WILL.

Might as well kick his dog and shoot himself in both feet while he's at it. Not only would it be absolutely insane from a competitive standpoint as someone with the knowhow would copy the design, but it might just mess with the classification. Just have some patience and good things will come.

Any pricing in mind?

$2,500?

$3,500?

$4,500?

Whoa slow down there cowboy and learn the fine art of haggling. Try this;

Any pricing in mind?

$800?

$900?

$850?

;)

Oh he CAN show you a CAD file, but I doubt he WILL.

Might as well kick his dog and shoot himself in both feet while he's at it. Not only would it be absolutely insane from a competitive standpoint as someone with the knowhow would copy the design, but it might just mess with the classification. Just have some patience and good things will come.;)

Oh please. I'm not asking for any dimensions. I just want an idea of what it looks like. If you can figure out the engineering tolerances based on a PNG of an isometric 3D model without any annotations, then I'll ####ing PAY YOU to teach me.

SO would it have to be some sort of recognizable AR10 clone, or would anyone be willing to take a chance on buying something that should be non restricted, uses Magpul or DPMS style AR10 mags, an AR10 bolt/chargeing handle and most AR furniture and IS accurate?
Just testing the waters for input, I have a plan...........

This is exactly what I am looking for .

There are lots of AR's in .308 but one with a 9 " barrel like the HK 51 would be a treat .

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm seriously asking why would you want this? I just can't wrap my head around buying a gun that is most commonly found in .223/5.56, with more expensive ammo/mags/parts, and crippling the cartridge by shooting it out of a 9" barrel. In a 24-28" barrel, the .308 can be pretty impressive, but you'd be losing a 600fps shooting it out of the 9". I'd be more interested in a .300 than a .308

What we sent the feds is a very rudimentary but operational gun, the reason being we can refine the looks once we know whether to bother investing a bunch of $$ into the project or not. IF they deem it as restricted we will abandon it for now, however if they do the right thing and class it as NON restricted then we can start to get creative with the look.

As for 9" barrel length, NOT gonna happen as that would ensure it being restricted.

Price for the prototype in the $50000.00 range. Price for the production model IF and when we do get it into production will have to be figured out once we have some made. We are hoping to come in in the $2500.00 to $3000.00 range much like the higher end AR10 rifles run, but at this point it is merely conjecture. If the market will support the volume to warrant buying higher production CNC equipment the price would come down some, but again at this point it is too early to project pricing with any certainty.

The way we have designed these it would be very easy to scale it up for 300 Win Mag or down for 223 which opens up many more possibilities.

But for now we wait for the feds to get around to deciding what they deem it as, it has only been 8 months so maybe I will live long enough to get an answer :rolleyes:

What we sent the feds is a very rudimentary but operational gun, the reason being we can refine the looks once we know whether to bother investing a bunch of $$ into the project or not. IF they deem it as restricted we will abandon it for now, however if they do the right thing and class it as NON restricted then we can start to get creative with the look.

As for 9" barrel length, NOT gonna happen as that would ensure it being restricted.

Price for the prototype in the $50000.00 range. Price for the production model IF and when we do get it into production will have to be figured out once we have some made. We are hoping to come in in the $2500.00 to $3000.00 range much like the higher end AR10 rifles run, but at this point it is merely conjecture. If the market will support the volume to warrant buying higher production CNC equipment the price would come down some, but again at this point it is too early to project pricing with any certainty.

The way we have designed these it would be very easy to scale it up for 300 Win Mag or down for 223 which opens up many more possibilities.

Ohh.. .223 you say eh? Now that would be very interesting. I've been looking at your AT-15 for a while now but just can't justify a range queen when I can go shoot in the bush easily.

But for now we wait for the feds to get around to deciding what they deem it as, it has only been 8 months so maybe I will live long enough to get an answer :rolleyes:

Hasn't the Swiss SAPR been in for review for almost four years now?? What a boat load of BS this whole process is.

Last edited:
I think it is great that a CDN manufacture is giving this a go. I hope it works out.
There is no reason why we can;t have .308 semi's. to go hunting with.

Kinda lame we end up having to pay high prices because of decisions made years ago by the liberals. But thats another story.

If ATRS can make a NR .308 semi down the road in a few years, I will buy it. If it is good maybe they can sell it outside Canada and recoup their investment costs. And lower our retail in the process :)

All the best. Update us in the new year...... :)

+1 on this project Rick. Here's hoping the Feds make a decision sooner than later. I'm eager to buy and will be at your door as soon as you start taking orders.

Need to do more research gents there are a ton of .308 AR's out there...... The Gun Dealer has a CGN posting on the forum right now for a Sig .308 platform, CQB & standard length barrel, they are expensive so bring your cc's and leave the conscience in your wifes purse. I'd love to see ATRS do a .308 build for the market, you guys have a spectacular rep in the community & I imagine for good reason, I'm not trying to cut your grass here at all so my apologies. Just trying to inform the ill informed that's all. To what Briddonic posted, I would not have anything to do with a RobArms XCR in any mod they have, but that is just me personally so take my opinion for what it is. I have had one bad experience that has jaded me forever on their product......anyone have some locktite I can borrow? IMHO it's almost blasphemous to mention them in a AR thread but I'm a fickle beast. My 2c

Back
Top Bottom