Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ringing ears. fuuu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    2-3 days.

I think constant noise is worse then one single occurance.

Soooo.... Can you hear now??

Quote Originally Posted by N Wansbutter Esq View Post
    Electronic earmuffs are worth every penny IMO. Considering how much firearms cost, a good pair is not very expensive. I use Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff ($81 on amazon.ca) and have been very happy with them. You can have regular conversations and hear range commands when on a course, but they dampen the gunshots nicely.

Reading this thread I realize I am very lucky I didn't get serious damage to my hearing when in the army. We were only issued those cheap/ineffective orange foam earplugs that basically did nothing.
    I cannot wear just my electric muffs. Indoors they doesn't muffle enough, and still get ringing/headaches. I have to wear foam ear plugs and crank up the electronic so I can still hear.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    I had guys shooting and I hauled out my stag 10, it had that gamma brake on it, and they had electronic earmuffs, apparently didn't work so well hahaha
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer GerardSamija's Avatar
    Generally speaking, the best solution to most problems is at the source. Hence my preference for airguns, as they are for the most part hearing safe, at least the lower power versions. I doubt I'll ever get into necked cartridges simply because even with hearing protection I'm simply too sensitive to noise, always have been. On the plus side, my sensitive hearing is an advantage for my work. Accurately perceiving sound us crucial in doing work for musicians, setting up their instruments to produce optimum sound qualities. The violin family make for some subtle acoustical needs. But I happen to like shooting. So I stick to the lower power things; airguns, .22lr, and 9mm. That way a single layer of earpro is sufficient. I have some custom fitted active Etymotics as well as matching silicone plugs for when the batteries die.

But to my initial point regarding the noise source, it seems the Brits and many other European/Scandinavian countries have that figured out, along with South Africa, New Zealand, and I think 37 of the US states. Suppressors, legal and for the most part cheap in these places (the USA a notable exception with their NFA causing jacked up pricing), take noise down to hearing safe levels for most firearms, and for the most powerful firearms at least to single level earpro volume. But I guess hearing protection of the most effective sort is too spooky for Canadian lawyers and politicians...

Wearing hearing protection earmuffs or earplugs are good methods for noise blocking and noise reduction. When you go to choose hearing protection ear protectors, however, it is important to look out for the Noise Reduction Rating, NRR. Most hearing protection earmuffs provide protection at around 30 decibels, but some provide even more. Learn more about the Highest NRR Ear Muffs here: https://doctear.com/highest-nrr-ear-muffs/

Quote Originally Posted by jibistewart View Post
    Never ever fire without taking proper precautions. You may face loss of hearing!
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyth View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance.

I'll check out your EE post. I'm a little low on funds right noiw though. Silly college!

edit: Gotta say though, that was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. Cant wait to hear a .50 cal (jk)
    You don't just hear .50 cal, you feel it in your body even some distance away.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by jmichelin84 View Post
    I had guys shooting and I hauled out my stag 10, it had that gamma brake on it, and they had electronic earmuffs, apparently didn't work so well hahaha
    Well ..... that is about as funny as a kick in the knuts. An inconsiderate pryk did something similar to me and I lost most of the hearing in my left ear. I didn't know he was going to shoot because he was behind me and the muzzle was even with my left ear. He thought it was pretty funny.

I only get ringing in ears when my wife talks to me. Luckily that isn't very often.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567