Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ringing ears. fuuu

Ringing ears. fuuu

So, my friend brought me to the range today. One thing leads to another, and my ears are ringing now.

The ringing was MUCH worse earlier, but its still going strong now. Been about an hour. My ears feel heavy or plugged. I can still hear obviously, but the ringing is continous.

Any idea when this will go away?
    They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

It may go away totally, or partially, over several hours to a few days or it may stay as is. Tinnitus is very difficult to predict or manage. You can only prevent it with hearing protection. The same goes for the loss of hearing.

I hope it goes. It was caused by ONE 9mm round being fired at the wrong time (no hearing protection what so ever.)
    They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

CGN Regular
    It will likely be gone tomorrow, but it also likely means that you have probably suffered some permanent high frequency hearing loss.
    Ringing in your ears after shooting or a loud concert is not a good sign.

Should I be concerned? I'm pretty worried and ugh.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer notsorichguy's Avatar
    The good news is the ringing will subside. But you have suffered permanent damage to your hearing. The ringing is evidence of that. The effects will probably not be noticeable long term but don't make it a habit. With repeat exposure the long term effects will be more pronounced. Your ability to hear will be affected.

I've been around shooting ranges all my life. From the time I was 8 till I was in my 20s I didn't even know ear muffs existed. Add to that I work in construction......

Needless to say I have some hearing loss......

Just this last spring I decided I had to do something, my wife doesn't have to shout at me but she usually has to raise her voice when talking to me.

I did some research on the net and found a product that has been around since the mid 80s. They are ear plugs that work like electronic muffs. There are no moving parts and they take no batteries. I had to have a pair.

Problem one was I couldn't find any in Canada, lots in the states, but I was unable to find a single retailer that would ship a pair to me for less than $80!

I contacted the manufacturer. I set up an account. Only issue, I had to order 100 pairs.

They work as advertised, I keep 2 pairs in my range bag, one in my pocket with my change, on in my tool bag and a set in every vehicles glove box.

You put them in. You can have a conversation with co-workers, or shooting buddies but still block all noise over 85 db. No need to remove them when at the range.

I currently have them for sale in the EE, I highly recommend them for anybody wishing to have a set of electronic muffs IMHO they work better than most electronic muffs priced under $200.

Stiff upper lip big guy. Learn from the incident, try to avoid it int he future.

Cheers!
    AKA: M14medic.ca

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'll check out your EE post. I'm a little low on funds right noiw though. Silly college!

edit: Gotta say though, that was the loudest thing I've ever heard in my life. Cant wait to hear a .50 cal (jk)

one round of 9mm...

the ringing will go away, and you won't notice any hearing loss in time.

try several hundred rounds of 30cal
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    -- John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer na1lb0hm's Avatar
    save your money from the next case of beer and buy a set of ear plugs, no amount of saved money can ever replace your hearing.

it'll go away in a day or so, but seriously, buy ear plugs.

my ears are shot from years in rock bands/concert and not wearing ear plugs when shooting. Can't go back and change it.

larger ear muffs are great because theres never any fitting issues, they go on and come off easy.

i bought 5 pair or decent browning over-the-head muffs the other day for when I take people out shooting, and the total came to under $100. Don't need anything fancy, name brand etc. just get some hearing protection!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Hopefully yours is temporary. About two years ago I suffered an ear infection. After the infection cleared, both ears rang at about E sharp. Went back to the doctors, and was diagnosed with tinnitus. Permanent tinnitus. I have a hard time sleeping, but during the day, I tend not to hear it so much.

Here's an experiment my friend found from his doctor, who had temporary tinnitus: Go to your bathroom/kitchen sink, and turn on the water. If the sound of the water falling drowns out the ringing- your in luck. Its tinnitus, but its temporary, and BONUS- its not as bad as you think.

EDIT: And have sympathy too- because nearly everyday I play with my band- and the bassist insists that he play on 10.
    Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast