Non-Restricted ACR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're chambered in .223 Wylde? :confused:

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

the-more-you-know.jpg

Haha, thanks!

The biggest limiting factor for these aftermarket items is Bushmaster's refusal (so far) to make their piston system and locking components available to aftermarket barrel producers... thus forcing producers to sell only the stripped barrel and customers to use their factory parts for any barrel switch.

Mark

Mark, does switching the factory parts to the new barrel require a gunsmith or is it relatively straightforward?

Mark, does switching the factory parts to the new barrel require a gunsmith or is it relatively straightforward?

For someone with tools and experience putting AR gas blocks onto barrels it's probably something a person could do themselves... but like anything it has to be done right, so unless you're very handy and have experience in that kind of thing then a Gunsmith is probably a good idea.

Mark

Not to fond of the SS barrell. It throws the black look of the rifle out. Still thanks to Questar we have ACR NR'S. Good job.

Can some one with some photoshop kung fu slap up a pic with a back barrel and a FH on that? If you guys come out with that in .308 ..... well a man can dream right?

Good job indeed. Feel for all the poor folks that put a deposit and waited months/year for a same or greater price Restricted model.

Forget the RFB, XCR-M, I want a 308 ACR.

That is exactly what mine will look like in a couple weeks.

On another note:

Mark, can any AR barrel be turned to accept the ACR gas block and locking nut assembly? Does the barrel use a carbine length gas port, or is it a length specific to the ACR?

We did this project about a year ago so my memory is a bit vague now on specifics. If I recall correctly, it is possible to make changes to a standard AR barrel so that it will work, but there were some areas of the profile that are NOT the same and we made our barrels to be correct in those areas. I would have to dig up the prints we created for our barrel to confirm which measurements were different.

I do recall reading somewhere that some guys in the US we modifying regular AR barrels they had purchased and made them work with their ACR hardware... no idea if they had any issues with them or not.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response. I know you mentioned some different barrel options you were working on, but a 12.5" Crusader style barrel, would be nice. Perhaps by the same "renowned barrel maker".

I know bushmaster is not selling the barrel/piston components on their own, but are they selling complete barrel assemblies on there own?

There's another board called ACRFORUM which I've been following as of late. There are quite a few Yankee's chopping up AR barrel and installing them on ACR's. One guy managed to rig up a Noveske barrel. They're pretty bold.

I don't have the balls to start f'n around with that kind of stuff. I'll keep investing in Questar stock as long as they keep pumping out the goods.

####, on a side note I called Bushmaster last week and they're not selling ANYTHING to do with the barrel and gas system. Their rep said the conversions should be out early next year and spare gas system parts soon after.

Bushmaster is still in the process of relocating, the rep was quite adamant about that.

Call them if you have questions, their number is on their site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom