Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interpretation of Canadian Storage Laws

Toronto - Silverdale Gun Club & Target Sports Canada
    yeah didn't want to go $2K crazy on a safe but i do like that browning af35 safe, that's cool...albeit out of my price range

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Yogi05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wylecoyote View Post
    Ya, I do what my firearms instructor suggested, and go to the extreme safe storage. Locked in a locked box in a locked closet in a locked room in a locked house, with a gps locator in the box. But thats just me. Theres alot of OR's in that wording.
    There is a philosophy that going overboard creates a new "standard". For example, there are many threads on trigger-locking non restr when in transport. It's not required (lets not start that debate again here PLEASE!). So if all the police ever see is trigger-locked non restr in transport (assuming they're not necc familiar with FA regs) then that will become the expected standard of what's required. If they see non locked nonrestr and discover that's all that's required, then locked is over and above the standard.
    Not sure I'm explaining what I mean, but to say if over and above is done often enough, then it becomes tha standard should explain it.

In the end, whatever you're comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by explorin2 View Post
    I should've waited on the purchase and read this thread and posts before I spent two grand on a Browning safe ... It just worries the heck out of me if my loved ones were ever stolen or removed from the household unwantingly!! I live rural and away from home a fair bit and this is my biggest fear for a few reasons!! Did I go overboard??
    Depends. $2k to secure $900 worth of guns?
    I'm rural as well, and have already been broken into (for those that don't know, it's as common or more common in the country than the city where they can work away for hours without anyone seeing, and they can usually hear/see someone coming home for a long distance) so I share your concern.

I installed a heavy security system, and happen to have a cabinet in a dedicated room (seperately alarmed so if I get a call stating that zone has been triggered I can get the cops there faster because firearms involved).

As I said above, in the end...whatever you're comfortable with.
    You can keep your MP3 and your MP4.....
    I want an MP5 !

Our legal system - guilty until rendered bankrupt

Stackon Cabinets

on sale at Canadian tire , 7 gun case $100

Get 2 put them in a closet

buy a brace of Trigger locks keyed alike ... maybe another $100

Save the soft cases for transport to the range.

There's legal minimum and there's reasonable care. The two aren't the same. I don't have kids, so it changes things somewhat, but I want to keep firearms out of unauthorized hands. As a responsible citizen, I want to make sure that my property doesn't cause someone else grief. Regardless of whether the law allows it, a portable hard case can be stolen too easily for my liking. Soft cases are far too easy to bust open on premises let alone remove from my home and open at their leisure. I would use either case for transport where I wouldn't be leaving it unattended.

I haven't received my PAL yet, so there's nothing inside, but I have a gun cabinet in a discreet yet accessible location in my home. A burglar ransacking my place could very well not even see it. It is fastened to the wall studs and floor joists, so it can't be moved. It is as secure as I can reasonably make it and it happens to satisfy the law.

P
    Last edited by pubb; 09-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Just some FYI but I dont think there is any way you can say a zippered soft case fits the definition of not easily broken into.

[youtube]zMTXzQ0Vqn8[/youtube]

Shawn

Toronto - Silverdale Gun Club & Target Sports Canada
    never am i ever taking a suitcase let alone a softcase bag through an airport again...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123